VOGONS

First post, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The general consensus seems to be that the best way to connect the MT-32 to a modern PC is via a USB midi interface, and in particular, the Roland/Edirol UM1-EX (and by default, other members of the UM-EX family) seems to get the nod from experienced forum members, both here and at Quest, for its proprietary advanced driver.

My first MT-32 rev0 arrived and I tested it using dosbox, with the midi signals being sent from a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (an unmanly name for a soundcard if there ever was one), and then a UM-1EX. Titles included the Bitmap Bros classics gods and The Chaos Engine, Ultima 6, and a non-playable demo of Space Quest 3 (in this case, both devices sounded a little "jerky" in places, but I have no reference point).

I much preferred the music when connected via the TBSC (perhaps influenced by the fact that the TBSC cost only pocket change, and serves as a general purpose sound card, where as the USB device cost AU$90! and is good for nothing else...)

My understanding is that SQ3 requires the midi signals to be sent via Intelligent / Normal mode, rather than UART mode. If this is indeed the case, and applies to the NPD version of SQ3 that I tried, then the Santa Cruz appears capable of sending signals in Intelligent mode.

Am I correct or is dosbox doing some of the work here?

Can someone recommend a readily obtainable game known to run only in with intelligent mode, to run further tests?

Either way, such a wonderful card becomes even more valued, and the need to go out and buy a pricey (and not so easy to find) cable is diminished...

Reply 2 of 3, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks... and I was getting all excited 😀

Nevertheless, I suggest resisting the urge to buy an expensive usb-midi interface, and use an existing or cheap second hand soundcard that has midi out via the gameport, and a 15-pin gameport to midi male cable (enter "15 pin midi" into ebay search, there's plenty and they are cheap).

Reply 3 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well there is a option for USB that doesn't cost a lot!

5 bucks for this USB to Midi interface: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-MIDI-Interface-Cab … =item3a5ef84f09

I use this and it works just fine!

My 15 pin midi cable cost me more than these USB adapters. But I wanted to play with one on a real DOS machine. Und real DOS however you want a ISA Roland MPU401 (or fully compatible) card

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel