VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by imercado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I banged my head against this wall for hours with my E-MU X-Midi Tab USB adapter to my MT-32. No joy at all in Windows Vista x64. Finally I read a post that said to try a Mac, so I did. Works great on that platform. This was Wing Commander in DOS-Box. I have the M-Audio USB adapter on order now. Shame the E-MU didn't cut it on Windows.

Reply 41 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Windows? Did you configure DOSBox to talk o the E-MU? Because by default it talks to the Windows default MIDI device...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 42 of 48, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If your mt32 didn't show any reaction then it didn't get used and needs to be configured in a different way.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 48, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imercado wrote:

I banged my head against this wall for hours with my E-MU X-Midi Tab USB adapter to my MT-32. No joy at all in Windows Vista x64. Finally I read a post that said to try a Mac, so I did. Works great on that platform. This was Wing Commander in DOS-Box. I have the M-Audio USB adapter on order now. Shame the E-MU didn't cut it on Windows.

Try running mixer /listmidi in DOSBox and then setting the midiconfig= value in your DOSBox config to the number listed for your X-Midi Tab.

Another option is to use a utility that can set the default Vista MIDI device to be the X-Midi Tab instead of the Microsoft software synthesizer. There seem to be a lot of those utilities that don't work properly, though.

I should also mention that I've had SysEx issues with the X-Midi Tab, so the M-Audio is a better choice now that they finally have x64 drivers available.

Reply 44 of 48, by imercado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, all. Good suggestions, but this is the problem where you get the "checksum error" on the MT-32 while it the game is sending the SYSEX commands that program the MT-32 for the game-specific sound effects. I read another post stating that the EMU X-Midi Tab adapter has issues in Windows with SYSEX command timing with the older-model MT-32s, and that the problem does not manifest itself on a Mac. I verified this to be the case on my MacBook, so I went ahead and ordered a MIDIsport Uno interface, which was claimed to have no such issue in Windows.

Good news! The MIDIsport Uno arrived on Friday...I loaded it up and it works GREAT with the SYSEX command in DOSBox on Windows Vista x64. So no more having to hook the MacBook up to the big screen to enjoy Wing Commander in all its MT-32 glory.

Thanks for all of the assistance on this forum. Us classic gamers have to stick together these days! 😀

Ian

Reply 45 of 48, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, yeah the exact situation you described happened to me, except I've only tried with Windows machines. I started out with an Uno but there were no 64-bit Windows drivers available for it when I built my Windows 7 x64 desktop, so I bought the X-Midi Tab only to have the checksum error issues. Fortunately M-Audio released 64-bit Uno drivers, so I just switched back to that adapter.

Reply 47 of 48, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid the SVN feature is not able to solve the checksum errors in the case of EMU's X-Midi Tab. I also own such a thingy, and that midi interface produces checksum errors on my rev0 device even with huge delays, so it seems inheritly buggy when dealing with (MT-32) sysexes. No idea what's going on there.

Reply 48 of 48, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an open ticket number KMM33697126I15977L0KM with EMU Support ( EMU.Support@customercare.creative.com ) about the SysEx issues with the X-Midi Tab. If other people want to complain about the issue, feel free to reference my ticket number.

They want me to jump through some annoying hoops like destroying my working MIDI setup by uninstalling my M-Audio MIDISport Uno drivers and double-checking that I don't have the X-Midi Tab hooked up backwards (lol), but I haven't had time nor inclination.