VOGONS

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I just got my MT-32 working nice and proper. First, I want to make sure my understanding of MIDI is accurate. As far as all of my MIDI-enabled games go, I am under the impression that most/all of them can be fit into one of two categories - games that sound best on an MT-32, and games that sound best on a GM device.

Next, I have the following understandings about MT-32:
Games with Adlib support work on an MT-32.
Games with MT-32 support work on an Adlib.
Either way, they sound better on an MT-32.
Adlib modes work on Sound Blaster cards and sound pretty much the same.
DOSBox has a very good quality Adlib emulator.
MT-32 emulation exists, but is crummy, development is stagnant, and is for all intents and purposes illegal.

And the following understandings about GM:
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth is a pretty good GM player.
MT-32 does not support GM, and hacks which basically remap instruments to GM sets are fairly crummy.
Roland's Sound Canvas line are better than MS Synth, and are the de facto standard for GM DOS games. I have no idea what the differences between SC-55/SC-88/etc. are as far as DOS game playback goes, and suspect they are all overkill.

Also, how's Roland Virtual Sound Canvas? I *might* be able to legitimately acquire a copy of the 2001 package. Is it a big improvement over MS Synth? How does it compare to a real SC for game music?

Finally, the big one. I have made a list of all of my games, minus the ones that I know for certain do not use MIDI. I am trying to divide this list in two - a list of games I should play using MT-32, and a list of games I should play using a GM device (software or otherwise). In addition to corrections, I'm also looking for confirmations, because I'm not totally sure on most of these.

If a game has a CD-ROM version available, assume I have that one.

The list:
http://pastebin.com/XCWhd6x4

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

games that sound best on an MT-32, and games that sound best on a GM device.

"Best" is very subjective. I prefer saying that some games where composed with a MT-32 in mind and others with a GM device in mind...

Games with Adlib support work on an MT-32.
Games with MT-32 support work on an Adlib.

That's not correct. Games with Adlib support work on Adlib / Soundblaster and Adlib / Soundblaster compatible cards.

Games with MT-32 support work on MT-32 and compatible modules (LAPC-I, MT-100, CM-32L. CM-64, CM-500)

Either way, they sound better on an MT-32.

Yes so if a game offers both, just use MT-32.

Adlib modes work on Sound Blaster cards and sound pretty much the same.

Depends how picky you are. The sound the same if the Soundblaster card has a genuine Yamaha OPL chip. Soundblaster and Soundblaster Pro have this. Some SB16 and AWE32s also have this. None of the AWE64s do. The ones without Yamaha OPL chips have a Creative clone chip which does sound different, though you might never notice 😀

DOSBox has a very good quality Adlib emulator.

Yes! Emulation of Adlib, Soundblaster, CMS, PC speaker (and some other standards) is excellent!

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth is a pretty good GM player.
MT-32 does not support GM, and hacks which basically remap instruments to GM sets are fairly crummy.
Roland's Sound Canvas line are better than MS Synth, and are the de facto standard for GM DOS games. I have no idea what the differences between SC-55/SC-88/etc. are as far as DOS game playback goes, and suspect they are all overkill.

Roland Soundcanvas is the Defacto GM standard when it comes to DOS GM games. It's what most composers used to compose and balance the music. I can recommend SC-55 and SC-55MKII and all other Soundcanvas modules. There is a big list on wikipedia. SC-88 is great but will likely cost more and if you only play DOS games might be overkill.

Reply 2 of 8, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I prefer saying that some games where composed with a MT-32 in mind and others with a GM device in mind...
That's not correct. Games with Adlib support work on Adlib / Soundblaster and Adlib / Soundblaster compatible cards.
Games with MT-32 support work on MT-32 and compatible modules (LAPC-I, MT-100, CM-32L. CM-64, CM-500)

Let me revise the statement:

As far as all of my MIDI-enabled games go, I am under the impression that most/all of them can be fit into one of three categories:
Games that were composed with AdLib/SB in mind
Games that were composed with MT-32 in mind
Games that were composed with GM in mind

Is that accurate? And if so, I want to know what games I have fit into the first category. I had just assumed that AdLib games would work fine on an MT-32.

I can recommend SC-55 and SC-55MKII and all other Soundcanvas modules.

What about the VSC? It seems like it would be a whole lot more convenient than needing yet another piece of legacy hardware.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not following...

How can a game that supports Adlib, play music through a MT-32?

It's like saying a Beta max player can play VHS. These are totally different technologies.

I might not fully get the gist of your question though...

No idea about VCS I have never listened to it. Real hardware FTW 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thecrankyhermit wrote:
Let me revise the statement: […]
Show full quote

I prefer saying that some games where composed with a MT-32 in mind and others with a GM device in mind...

Let me revise the statement:

As far as all of my MIDI-enabled games go, I am under the impression that most/all of them can be fit into one of three categories:
Games that were composed with AdLib/SB in mind
Games that were composed with MT-32 in mind
Games that were composed with GM in mind

Is that accurate? And if so, I want to know what games I have fit into the first category. I had just assumed that AdLib games would work fine on an MT-32.

Hyperspeed comes to mind as a game that sounds fairly crappy on MT-32 but pretty nice on Adlib. I think Indianapolis 500 may be another (other than maybe the intro song).

Reply 5 of 8, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've never seen a game that supported AdLib or MT-32 but not both, and I was under the impression that MIDI data for one could be played by the other.

I mean, I know you can play both AdLib and MT-32 games using a GM device. I've done it myself. It doesn't sound good at all, but it works.

I might not fully get the gist of your question though...

If I have these things at my disposal:
AdLib/SB emulation via DOSBox
A real MT-32
A GM device

Does that cover all of my bases for playing DOS games with music as it was meant to be heard?

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 6 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Well, I've never seen a game that supported AdLib or MT-32 but not both, and I was under the impression that MIDI data for one could be played by the other.

NO. Adlib is not a MIDI synthesizer, it's an FM synthesizer. It's up to the game companies to make or use middleware that allows their games to treat the Adlib as if it were a MIDI synthesizer.

The only reason you see Adlib and MT-32 both supported in many games is because those were the budget and pro music cards for the PC that were most widely available before the Sound Blaster and other cards came along to make things more complicated.

I mean, I know you can play both AdLib and MT-32 games using a GM device. I've done it myself. It doesn't sound good at all, but it works.

MT-32 and GM devices are both directly MIDI-related, which means you can send the same MIDI data to both and they will produce sound. The problem is that they're different standards that use the same inputs, so the sound will be vastly different. It's kind of like how gas/petrol stations use the same nozzles for pumping unleaded and leaded gasoline: it lets you put either type into your car, but if you use the wrong one you won't like the result.

If I have these things at my disposal: AdLib/SB emulation via DOSBox A real MT-32 A GM device […]
Show full quote

If I have these things at my disposal:
AdLib/SB emulation via DOSBox
A real MT-32
A GM device

Does that cover all of my bases for playing DOS games with music as it was meant to be heard?

That should cover a good 95%. A few games might take special advantage of GUS, or CM-32/CM-64, or Roland GS, or Tandy 3-voice, or C/MS (Game Blaster) but the list is very small.

I have an MT-32 and SC-88 and am very happy. I might get a CM-32 or CM-64 at some point, but I don't really miss not having one.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Well, I've never seen a game that supported AdLib or MT-32 but not both

There are plenty! Especially games that only supported Adlib.

Wolfenstein for Example. Or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Many games however supported both or even more soundcard standards. Some soundcards include:

Adlib
Soundblaster (digital speech / sound effects)
MT-32
General Midi
CMS / Gameblaster
Adlib GOLD
Gravis Ultrasound

I have no idea what you did there, but that doesn't work. If you only have a MIDI card and a GM or MT-32 in your system you will be unable to hear Adlib or Soundblaster sound ever. It's just not possible,

Sure does! MT-32 is pretty much the main standard that's not possible to emulate accurately. Adlib, SB is awesome and for GM there are great software synths.

Reply 8 of 8, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Also, how's Roland Virtual Sound Canvas? I *might* be able to legitimately acquire a copy of the 2001 package. Is it a big improvement over MS Synth? How does it compare to a real SC for game music?

If I were you, I would try VSC first before spending any money. Once you've listened to it, you can decide whether to buy it or not.

Try this instructions:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=41868#41868

And get yourself a copy of SAVIHost (free of charge):
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

Oh, and you'll probably need MIDI Yoke as well:
http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm

Regards.