VOGONS

First post, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I just purchased a Roland LAPC-I today, for the first time ever, and I was wondering if the serial interface of the card is compatible with the external box of the MPU-IPC-T.

The LAPC-I does not come with the MCB-1, unfortunately, so I am hoping that I could use the MPU-IPC-T interface to connect it to my MT-32 from time to time.

Are the number and placement of the pins even the same? My MPU-IPC-T has a 25-pin layout, but only 9 pins are present on it, in a scattered fashion.

Thanks for your help.

Reply 1 of 2, by Per

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the pinout of the two interfaces as of the connector on the card. You may need mirrot it if you want the cable's connector.

Note that the output TxD (MIDI out) lines of the MPU-IPC-T has already been divided and buffered by the card while the TxD line from the LAPC-I has not, and therefore it's divided and buffered in the MCB-1 itself. All other present lines are similar in the interface box.

MCB-1:
--------------------------------------------------------
\GND T.In Metro NC NC Contin Clock VCC/
\ GND T.Out VCC NC TxD RxD Start /
----------------------------------------------------

MPU-IPC-T:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
\GND T.In Metro NC NC NC NC NC NC NC TxD NC VCC/
\ GND T.Out VCC NC NC NC NC NC NC TxD RxD NC /
---------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 2 of 2, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Per, I appreciate the schematics of each card output.
Besides the obvious mismatch of pins, it looks like there are other considerable differences in the connectors' wirings and capabilities.