VOGONS

First post, by Per

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How many versions are there of the controll ROM of the LAPC-I/CM-32L?

I got a LAPC-I from around mid-1989 with version 1.00, and I have seen a dump of version 1.02, but I don't think that was the last one.

The LAPC-I cards were initially shipped with the ROM socketed and labeled, in which case the ROM is obivously easy to identify/dump. Later cards, however, had the ROM soldered and there are no label stating the version number. These later ROMs are therefore much harder to dump as desoldering/resoldering is requiered. Unfortuanely these later cards with soldered control ROMs may contain versions later than 1.02, which the only possible way to identify is to dump.

Does anybody have any information on the different ROM versions and their differences?

Reply 1 of 1, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ROM versions are identified in the service manuals for the LAPC-I and the CM-32L, which is identical with the ISA card in terms of its synthesis engine. The socketed EPROM is 1.00 and the soldered ROM is 1.02. If there were a 1.03 or greater ROM, it would have different silkscreen markings on the chip. The fix in the 1.02 deals with a certain type of audio clipping.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog