VOGONS

First post, by hugstari2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

So i've been reading these forums for years and years and i've always been lokking forward to playing the old Sierra games with MT32 audio but i've never had a good enough computer to do so. Now i got that 😀

But anyways i tried playing Hero's Quest and compared the music i was getting to the digital recordings on Quest Studios and it didn't really sound that simular at all. It was much better then sound blaster though. Now i know i am comparing an emulator to the real thing but from what i've been reading here I think i must have done something wrong, i should somehow be able to get the music to sound more like the real thing.

I am using the newest build from Ykhwong and a munt setup file Collector posted in the Dosbox Dev board. I've changed the mididevice to mt32 in the dosbox.conf file and used the Putzlowitsch's Vista midi mapper to change midi device to the MT-32 synth emulator. Is there anything i am forgetting to do or am i just being to greedy and should just go out and (try to) buy the real thing?

Reply 1 of 6, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The emulator is being improved, people are working hard on it. How close it sounds depends on the game and the features it uses. Try to follow the development thread to get rough estimates.
As for your setup, I believe, you set it up twice. Now, special dosbox builds that already include mt32 emu do not need external driver or midi mappers. And vice versa - you could use official dosbox build and set it up though the mt32 midi output to get mt32 output. Last but not least, any game should be configured for mt32 to get proper output either way.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 6, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the emu will sound indistinguishable very soon and it already does for several tunes we test most frequently.

And you don't have to have a super-fast PC for it... 😀

But be careful comparing stuff with the Quest Studios records. I suspect they edited many tunes since the real CM-32L captures KG made for me sounds differently 😒

Reply 3 of 6, by hugstari2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i'll try to remove the extra installation. Is it okay to leave the control panel midi mapper? I can't seem to get rid of it anyways 😁

Thanks for the info guys and i'll have a look at the dev thread.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't used Munt since I got real Roland gear a while ago.

Could someone try the Game "The Heart of China"? It uses a lot of custom sounds, and in general, sounds very unique!

For comparison, I did a YouTube recording ages ago on a MT-32 (Old):

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2iv2RSXkXA

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GTr-27Ah8

In part 2, there is this scene in the plane, when the passport gets stamped. This sound, sounds only 100% right on a MT-32 (old) and off on any other Roland modules (MT-32 (new), CM64...)

So I'm wondering what you hear with munt. If someone can post a recording that would be awesome.

Regarding Sierra games, they are meant for MT-32 (old). Don't use a CM-32L or CM-64 for Sierra games!

I made extensive Wing Commander recordings:

Fireworks and Introduction - Roland MT-32 version

Alternate Wing Commander Score - Roland MT-32 version

Bar - Roland MT-32 version

Barracks - Roland MT-32 version

Briefing - Roland MT-32 version

Briefing alternate version - Roland MT-32 version

Scrambling and Take off - Roland MT-32 version

Dogfight, landing and debriefing - Roland MT-32 version

Failed mission, landing and debriefing - Roland MT-32 version

Ejecting, Debriefing and Award ceremony - Roland MT-32 version

Death and Funeral - Roland MT-32 version

And there are others on my YouTube channel, which is Mau1wurf1977

Reply 6 of 6, by Gez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did anyone ever make comparison records between a genuine MT-32 and the Orchid SoundWave 32? (Not sure if this would be better asked here or in the Marvin forum.) The Orchid sound card is how I originally discovered the MT-32 and the reason why I'm interested in Munt now. 😀