You can also send the following sysex to the synth:

F0 41 10 16 12 7F 01 F7

Thanks, is that the MT-32 reset?

Reply 24 of 31, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Timar wrote:

Thats really strange. I tried it again and again - no sucess. It works only with the original dll from the installer. Have you changed anything else?

OK, finally I solved the problem. The installer (MuntSetup.exe) copied the ROM files to the system32 directory, and set the PathToROMFiles parameter in mt32emu.ini accordingly. No problem with the included dll, but the more recent dll doesn't seem to read that parameter but always expects the dlls to be in the sysWOW64 directory. It works when I put the ROMs there.

So either that's a bug or the PathToROMFiles parameter is deprecated...

Reply 25 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The installer was not written with the INI in mind, so it expects the ROMs to be in the same directory.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 26 of 31, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

The installer was not written with the INI in mind, so it expects the ROMs to be in the same directory.

But how does to the installer tell the dll to look for the ROMs if not by creating an ini? Does it write to the registry?

Reply 27 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The old inf install just copied the ROMs to the System32 folder along with the DLL. In other words, it only looks in the same folder as where the DLL is registered. As I said, the installer was written before sergm started to utilize an INI. An INI in the Windows directory is an antiquated way of storing preferences.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 28 of 31, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

<...>
An INI in the Windows directory is an antiquated way of storing preferences.

Oh, yeah, sorry for that...
Really, the use of the Windows registry isn't a cross-platform solution for storing preferences. See, we have changed the policies regarding the driver existence and features several times recently. And I still expect it will be obsolete after we make our RTP-MIDI application working. But we still haven't chosen the way of storing the preferences. And the driver surely must use one since it has no other user interfaces. So, you can consider this as a temporary unpleasant feature. 😀

Of course, the Windows dir *isn't* the right place for this and it should be changed to %USERPROFILE% or something.

Reply 29 of 31, by SatoriEnd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Collector:

I'm trying to get your script up and running, but after running it the window just disappears and displays the read me. Running the Add a Device panel doesn't bring anything up and nothing appears in driver manager.

I know this is a month old post, but has everything really changed that much, or am I just missing a step?

Reply 30 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have something like Putzlowitsch's Vista MIDI Mapper installed? Vista/Win7 does not easily let you choose your MIDI device.

If you are using it with DOSBox, you can also select the MIDI device DOSBox will use in the dosbox.conf. At the prompt in DOSBox type

mixer /listmidi

to get a list of all of the MIDI devices that you can use with DOSBox. Use the MIDI device number of the "MT-32 Synth Emulator" you find and add it to the [midi] section of your dosbox.conf like

[midi]
midiconfig= #

Replace # with the device number of the MT-32 Synth.