VOGONS

Yamaha MU80

Topic actions

First post, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody.

What do you guys think about the Yamaha MU80? I'm thinking of buying one instead of a Roland SC-55, because it supports GM, GS and XG. What do you think of my plan? 😉

Last edited by rug on 2011-06-30, 17:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 2 of 7, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xan1242 wrote:

If you are thinking about MU80,I would rather have S-XYG50 (which is a soft synth of MU80).Go for SC-55.I've never heard about XS,did you mean XG?

You're quite right. It's XG.

I'm bit inexperienced in what DOS MIDI is concerned! 😮

Mind you, doesn't seem like my plan is a very good idea... 😜

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 3 of 7, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For DOS gaming, I don't think there was any support for anything above GM. Final Fantasy 7 supports Yamaha XG in Windows, but that's about it as far as I recall.

If your AWE64 has a waveblaster header, you can pick up a Yamaha DB50/60XG for very cheap which will give you GM and XG compatability. The other options are the Roland MT-32 for earlier DOS games, and the ubiquitous SC55 for mid-late DOS games.... there are quite a few alternatives though, and what sounds good to one person, may not be to anothers tastes. I myself have always fancied picking up a Korg NX5R for something different!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 7, by xan1242

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,when it comes to DOS MIDI,you should get an MT-32,CM-32L or CM-64.Duke Nukem 3D has GS support,but that is the only game that has GS support in DOS.MT-32 synth emulation is very good,so you might consider getting an SC-55 (I recommend mkII,that one has better sounds).I do not like Virtual Sound Canvas,it sucks when it comes to effects like resonance and filters and equalizers because it doesn't have them and it simply changes the feel of music.For Final Fantasy 7 I recommend S-XYG50 (the VST version,that one has 128 key polyphony and has all the MU-80 sounds).What price range are you looking for?Maybe I can find you something better.

Reply 5 of 7, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote:

For DOS gaming, I don't think there was any support for anything above GM. Final Fantasy 7 supports Yamaha XG in Windows, but that's about it as far as I recall.

If your AWE64 has a waveblaster header, you can pick up a Yamaha DB50/60XG for very cheap which will give you GM and XG compatability. The other options are the Roland MT-32 for earlier DOS games, and the ubiquitous SC55 for mid-late DOS games.... there are quite a few alternatives though, and what sounds good to one person, may not be to anothers tastes. I myself have always fancied picking up a Korg NX5R for something different!

I have no idea if it has a waveblaster connector. I does have two connectors but I think those are for expanding the internal memory.

It is an AWE64 Gold. I don't know if this helps...

Anyway, I found a yamaha db50 on ebay, but for a ridiculous price: €190!!

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 6 of 7, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neither AWE64 nor AWE64 Gold have waveblaster connectors. Those connectors on AWE64 Gold are for memory expansion board.

€190 for a DB50XG is really ridiculous, I have seen one being sold recently for £25. NEC clones are as cheap as $8 at taobao.com.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS games I would also recommend a Roland SC-55 or SC-55mkII. They are external and work beautifully with the AWE64 Gold. Just need a joystick port to MIDI adapter.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel