VOGONS

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, second try.

Given that it's not possible to give too many details about the roms, I'll try to ask more generally:

What are the differences between the different control ROM versions of the MT-32 ?

Would any of them hold any advantage over the others if they were to be used with an emulator?

Would the ROMs of CM-32L modules be preferred? Or maybe even the CM-500 ones? If so, why?

Regards.

Reply 1 of 2, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own a 1st gen. model of the MT-32. I've heard this particular model (as I have experienced on occasion) suffers from that "Exec. Buffer Overflow" problem with some games, but that's probably just relevant to the real hardware MT. I've heard the CM-32L has 33 additional sound effects that the MT-32 doesn't, so maybe those would be preferable when emulating? I've never used or owned a CM, so I can't really speak from experience.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 2, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that sergm mentioned that they were fully aware of the different control ROM versions and their effects on vibrato (among other things).

Maybe they will implement a workaround to solve the problem regardless of your particular ROM version. Or maybe even emulate it so that the control ROM is not even needed! Who knows!

However, it seems that the extra samples of the CM-32L will probably require you to have a dump of the CM-32L pcm rom (which is twice as big as the MT-32 pcm rom!)