VOGONS

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed whenever I setup General Midi using SB AWE64 Gold's default soundfont SYNTHGM for old games like Willy Beamish or Indiana Jones: Fate of the Atlantis, the music is great, but the sound effects are nonexistent.

I'm not using emulation, I am running Windows 98SE with a real Creative SBAWE64 Gold.

How do you guys normally account for this? Or do you have to go and grab all of the sound effects and place them in the sound banks? First, how would you know where in the sound bank they should be? It seems like General Midi only focuses on Music and not sound effects.

For example, when playing Willy Beamish, there is a sound effect for Willy opening his desk(a little squeak) but with GM turned on, there is no sound effect. So I end up playing without GM so that I can hear the soundfx.

Is there anything to do to add sound? Or do I just need to find the proper soundFont that has the proper soundfx for a given game? Or is this just a tradeoff when using GM?

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your game allows to choose 2 sound cards? one for samples and another for music?
Many old games only used one sound card, often when you choose a roland or other music synth you are basically trading off (most or all) sfx for better music....

Don't bother with loading sfx in soundfond memory this will not work as this is not how things are supposed to work... (it would work in theory but it would require the game's support and provision of such a soundfont)
Basically you either choose 2 sound cards if possible or choose sb+fm music or gm music

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, "The lost Vikings" as the example. With GM as the sound device - you have the great music, but the sound effects are strange.
Looks like the GM sound effects are the worst. The MT-32 have "intelligent mode" and sample reloading, so - the game can use custom effects... SB use digitazed effects by default. Etc.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 5, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. Yea I remember playing Ultima 7 with GM and every time the thunder would come down it would make the noise of a door closing instead hehe. Oh well I guess it's just a tradeoff. Ok thanks guys that explains it.

Reply 4 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you try the chorus and reverb settings of the AWE64:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPw7C8_K3Q

Makes Adlib / Sound Blaster games sound quite a bit nicer 😀

The other thing you can do is run sound fonts from within Windows. Though a PCI Sound Blaster live! or Audigy might be better for this.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread is a little old, and not sure about Indy, but Willy Beamish is a MT-32 game, not a GM game.. so with that setup (AWE64) you should use the Sound Blaster/Adlib option in the installer.

In MT-32 setting you will hear all the instruments (other than drums) played incorrectly, and all the special MT-32 sound effects will play as little wrong instrument beeps and boops instead of the long playtime and the correct instrument, for example the 'Eating' sound effect during the dinner/breakfast sequence.