VOGONS

First post, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just gotten my MT32 in and I want to test to see if it works.
It says it needs a 9V 650mA DC adaptor

I have a 9V 800mA adaptor and also a 10V Model 1 Genesis Adaptor and I want to know which adaptor would be the safest to use to test the MT32?

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Genesis brick works perfectly 😀 The other one should be fine just check the polarity (minus and plus) on the connector. Sometimes it's the wrong way round.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 12, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you sure?
One of my friends on Facebook told me to not use 10V or 800mA and he said that it could fry it.

So you are saying its OK and Perfect to use a Model 1 Plug that outputs 10VDC and 1.2A with my arrived MT-32 which says 9V DC 650mA?

Should I try it?
PS: I live in the USA

Reply 3 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

using a 10v supply on something that wants 9? thats fine. $10 says the mt32 has an internal voltage regulator that drops the 9 down to 5v anyway (or whatever voltage it needs).

most "reputable" manufacturers that use wall-warts design the device to be very forgiving on the input. Wall-warts are notorious for being less than stellar for voltage regulation at load.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 12, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😀
I'm now happy that I didn't throw away my Model 1 Genesis PSU after the death of my Model 1 Genesis and I feel so lucky. I only payed about $44 in total for it untested and I bought it since it was sold as a Buy it now auction:)

Am I a lucky kid or what? 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better to use the 9V 800mA one (if it is DC and correct polarity):

The current rating (amps/watts) is how much the adapter can supply without burning itself out. The device being powered (MT-32 in this case) will try to draw whatever it needs, which according to your info is no more than 650mA. In other words, devices pull power from power supplies - the adapter doesn't push power to the device.

Mismatched voltage, on the other hand, can cause damage to the device being powered because its circuitry is designed to run off of a specific voltage range. Even voltage regulators can only accept a certain range without blowing up, so you can't count on those. 10V may be close enough to not cause problems, but why take the chance when you have a 9V supply?

Realistically you'll probably be safe either way.

Reply 7 of 12, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
Better to use the 9V 800mA one (if it is DC and correct polarity): […]
Show full quote

Better to use the 9V 800mA one (if it is DC and correct polarity):

The current rating (amps/watts) is how much the adapter can supply without burning itself out. The device being powered (MT-32 in this case) will try to draw whatever it needs, which according to your info is no more than 650mA. In other words, devices pull power from power supplies - the adapter doesn't push power to the device.

Mismatched voltage, on the other hand, can cause damage to the device being powered because its circuitry is designed to run off of a specific voltage range. Even voltage regulators can only accept a certain range without blowing up, so you can't count on those. 10V may be close enough to not cause problems, but why take the chance when you have a 9V supply?

Realistically you'll probably be safe either way.

Should this be right for it?

Last edited by Dakkiller on 2022-03-11, 09:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(edit: removed info that doesn't apply)

The one you have pictured appears to be 9V (can't tell if it's DC or AC), 800mA, adjustable polarity (currently set to negative polarity tip).

Since your MT-32 is reportedly rated at 650mA, it should work fine!

Reply 9 of 12, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

(edit: removed info that doesn't apply)

The one you have pictured appears to be 9V (can't tell if it's DC or AC), 800mA, adjustable polarity (currently set to negative polarity tip).

Since your MT-32 is reportedly rated at 650mA, it should work fine!

Should I change the Tip also or leave it as it is?
Oh and BTW, Its an AC Adaptor

Reply 10 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dakkiller wrote:

My Roland PSU uses that polarity, but mine takes 1200mA instead of 650mA so there's no guarantee that my data helps you.

Is the output DC?

Reply 11 of 12, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
My Roland PSU uses that polarity, but mine takes 1200mA instead of 650mA so there's no guarantee that my data helps you. […]
Show full quote
Dakkiller wrote:

My Roland PSU uses that polarity, but mine takes 1200mA instead of 650mA so there's no guarantee that my data helps you.

Is the output DC?

Yes it does say DC in the Output area

Reply 12 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should work then. Maybe set the MT32 power switch to the on position while the power is disconnected, then plug the power in for only a second to see if it comes on.