VOGONS

First post, by Breach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm using Daum's SVN build (21-5-2012) and when playing SQ5 with MT32 I get some sound skipping and see MT32: Playback buffer full messages being dumped into the console - any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- Maybe try lowering cycles?
- Maybe try using GM instead of MT-32, as the music in SQ5 was reportedly composed primarily for GM. BASSMIDIDRV is a great Windows soundfont MIDI synth if you need one.
- ScummVM supports SQ5 and I believe the official releases have munt built-in.

Reply 6 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Munt is very demanding on top of dosbox beibg demanding 😉
Next time make sure you mention munt or mt32 emulation when you mean this. A real mt32 works much better and doesn't add any overhead 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure that the external munt driver is very, very, very out-of-date compared to the source code that ykhwong and scummvm are building against.

I also use a real MT-32 and SC-88 on my desktop, although I use BASSMIDIDRV for decent GM when playing DOS games on my laptop 😀

Reply 8 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope. In fact serg's is probably where ykhwong and ScummVM are getting their code. https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/downloads

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Breach wrote:

Does the official release support MUNT at all...?

I highly recommend you buy a real MT-32 😀

You just need a cheap USB > MIDI adapter and you are set to go.

I cover this as part of a video tutorial I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGxEgw4TE58&fe … 0C65EBEFE6CB109

Reply 11 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
I highly recommend you buy a real MT-32 :) […]
Show full quote
Breach wrote:

Does the official release support MUNT at all...?

I highly recommend you buy a real MT-32 😀

You just need a cheap USB > MIDI adapter and you are set to go.

I cover this as part of a video tutorial I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGxEgw4TE58&fe … 0C65EBEFE6CB109

I should mention that I've had issues with various USB-MIDI adapters in Win 7 x64:
- The Creative/EMU one that I have causes SysEx errors (shows as checksum errors on the MT-32), so I can't recommend it for use with MT-32.
- The M-Audio one that I have did not have Windows x64 drivers for the longest time; don't buy an adapter that does not list Windows Vista/7 x64 compatibility unless you can find a suitable driver for it on the manufacturer's web site.

Reply 12 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I must have had quite the luck as I got the cheapest generic MIDI adapter from eBay and it worked. It didn't come with drivers, W7 64 downloads them through Windows Update...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I think a lot of the newer ones are compatible with a Microsoft reference driver. A lot of the ones made before Vista x64 went mainstream are/were problematic, though, because the manufacturers had to write their own drivers.

My Creative/EMU USB-MIDI adapter is among the newer ones that can work with the Microsoft drivers, although Creative also ships and recommends their own. I get SysEx errors with either set of drivers, though. Fortunately M-Audio released drivers for my old adapter from them by the time I realized my Creative/EMU one was a lemon.

I still have a years-old open ticket with Creative over their adapter, because they wanted me to uninstall my working M-Audio setup in order to prove that it wasn't interfering with the Creative drivers/hardware.

Reply 14 of 23, by solaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

- ScummVM supports SQ5 and I believe the official releases have munt built-in.

I just wanted to mention that indeed ScummVM supports SQ5 with mt-32 and it sounds great.

Tested with scummvm 1.6.0 git built on 10/10/12 running on Fedora 17 x86.

Much less fiddling, just set the extra path to where you store your mt32 roms and choose Mt32 for the prefered output.

I'm really impressed by the quality, games like Space Quest 3, Larry 3, Monkey Island, etc. really sound fantastic.

I will test out others, but it's fun to play through when I have some free time.

Either way it's much better than when I last tried the mt32 emu years back...

I hope the next DOSBox has mt32 support integrated so I can try it with the floppy version of Wily Beamish (I believe they took out MT32 support in the CD version.) I suppose one day Wily Beamish will be playable in scummvm too...

It would be nice if the devs were to integrate fluidsynth support like scummvm does too. It's much easier to just point to the soundfont and have MIDI work.

No need to have appropriate hardware or daemons running outside of the emulator.

Emulate everything before the hardware becomes even more scarce and obsolete.

Reply 15 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MT-32 emulation is a touchy subject as it requires the dumped ROMs. You likely downloaded them off the Internet like everyone else. The thing is that including such an emulator with any program will result in more ROMs being downloaded. I think that's the essence of the problem.

If you want DOSBox with MT-32 and GM try this build: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

You will still need the ROMs though.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

MT-32 emulation is a touchy subject as it requires the dumped ROMs. You likely downloaded them off the Internet like everyone else. The thing is that including such an emulator with any program will result in more ROMs being downloaded. I think that's the essence of the problem.

If you want DOSBox with MT-32 and GM try this build: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

You will still need the ROMs though.

It's not like Roland is losing money from people not buying MT-32's.

As long as DOSBox doesn't include the ROMs themselves, I don't see the problem - especially since ScummVM has already set the precedent for officially shipping MT-32 emulation.

I'll save wd a post, though, and mention that the only valid point I can think of is that existing VOGONS members (including the DOSBox devs) may not appreciate the flood of people asking "why doesn't it work?" followed by "where can I download the ROMs?".

Reply 17 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK you can still purchase the roms from Roland. Doubt it's a cashcow though 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

AFAIK you can still purchase the roms from Roland. Doubt it's a cashcow though 😀

I called them to obtain updated CM-32L ROMs last year and they said that someone had just bought the last one a few days ago, and that someone was on these forums 🙁

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog