VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! first sorry my english

I have 3 computers in my house, the main desktop, a media center, and the laptop

Media center = XP SP3
Desktop = XP SP3
Laptop = Win2k SP4 + Rollup 1

The desktop and the media center use same windows, from same CD

Ok, here the problem. I download the latest munt devel from his webseite

https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/downloads

mt32emu-qt_2012-06-17.zip

And install in all the computers. Just double click on drvsetup.exe

In the desktop and the laptop i get munt show in the midi list, and workperfect!! dosbox or vdmsound + MT-32 wonderfull

munt.gif

But in the media center, i do same, double click on drvsetup.exe, say that the drive is installed correctly.... but never show in the midi list!!!

I went to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And i have the entry

MIDI1 mt32emu.dll

I reinstall windows but same problem 🙁

Then in the desktop, I reinstall windows in another HD, from same CD I use in media center... and the munt show in midi list!! WTF!!!!

Same windows, different computers, in one work, in other no...

I dont know what to do to solve this problem, any ideas?

Thanks
[/img]

Reply 1 of 5, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!
Thanks for reporting the issue. Honestly, drvsetup uses rather a hack to register the driver in Windows Multimedia list (introduced solely for supporting x64 Windows), and I'm not really surprised that it doesn't work in media center. I'm not very familiar with media center internals, so I suspect it can be caused either by using another media service or configuration settings in this particular environment.
But you can try 'official' installing method that implies using the .inf file provided with the driver @ https://github.com/downloads/sergm/munt_devel … _2011_10_03.zip
There is also a README which provides detailed steps for installing the way "Add Hardware wizard" provides.

Please, let me know whether this works.

Reply 2 of 5, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sergm! thanks for your message, and sorry for late reply

I try everything without luck

This is the last i tried, I installed Windows XP Sp3 in my 3 PCs, plus, one more, from my brother

PC Intel C2D + WinXP Sp3 = munt install OK (drvsetup or manual install)

Laptop Pentium M centrino + WinXP Sp3 = munt install OK (drvsetup or manual install)

Laptop Dual Core + WinXP Sp3 = munt install OK (drvsetup or manual install)

PC Athlon XP 1Ghz + WinXP Sp3 = munt FAILS (drvsetup or manual install)

The 4 machines with same Windows, nothing changed, exept of course, different sound drivers

In the Athlon XP mt32emu-qt_2012-06-17.zip or mt32emu_winMMdrv_2011_10_03.zip fails

Same driver works perfect on the other PCs

On the athlon XP the original old munt install and works, but sound bad!

Then i tried DOSBox with munt

In the athlon XP, the yhkwong DOSBox works perfect with munt

But dosbox_mt32_2012_04_21.zip , hangs, and close

https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/downloads

But this DOSBox that hangs on the Athlon works perfect on the other 3 PCs...

Finally I think maybe the problem came with your builds.... hardware problem??? the athlon XP is not enough ????

I take some screenshots, when i tried to install sergm Munt manually on the athlon XP

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

Thanks! and sorry for long post 🙄

Reply 3 of 5, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right. My builds all require SSE2, except the qt-app itself. BTW, are you sure your Athlon XP has enough processing power? I tried it without SSE2 on Celeron 1056 MHz (overclocked 800 MHz) - too slow for most of tunes.
But this can be exactly the cause why your media center doesn't like munt. Are you aware of what CPU is installed there?

Reply 4 of 5, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

You're right. My builds all require SSE2, except the qt-app itself. BTW, are you sure your Athlon XP has enough processing power? I tried it without SSE2 on Celeron 1056 MHz (overclocked 800 MHz) - too slow for most of tunes.
But this can be exactly the cause why your media center doesn't like munt. Are you aware of what CPU is installed there?

Thank you very much for your reply.

My mediacenter is a Futro S400, a Thin Client, that have a AMD Geode NX 1500, is a Athlon XP 1ghz with low power

About the CPU power to use munt, yhkwong DOSBox build I think have latest munt compile with it (because sound exactly like your driver), and works perfect with the Athlon XP and the AMD Geode

In fact, i can play all games i like (Lotus, Supaplex, Sherlock Holmes...etc) with MT-32 without slowdown with yhkwong DOSBox + Geode or Athlon

The main problem of yhkwong build like official DOSBox, is that vsync is not good, is not working

But I discover this incredible build

Yet another attempt at vertical sync

WOW!! vsync works like a charm in the Ahtlon XP and the AMD Geode!! in all games i test, was great

Thats why i try everything to use your driver, then i can use the vsync DOSBox + MT-32

For now the Futro S400 (AMD Geode) is perfect, all games i test in DOSBOx run perfect, 8 and 16bits console emulators fly, PSX and N64 too, mplayer is great 😀 wow... just for 6W, no fan, and 0 noise 😀

Thanks!! sorry the trouble (and my bad english)

And really a big thank for your MT-32 build, is a great work