VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I saw the announcement for Munt 1.2.0, I decided to download it to see what all the fuss was about. The program game me an unable to find MIDI port error, but otherwise installed correctly. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and the error has been reported before. Since vanilla DOSBox needs a MIDI port to communicate with Munt, I needed to assign a MIDI port myself to the Munt driver.

Drvsetup crashed when trying to install the driver. I believe I have UAC disabled, but maybe I do not. So I figured out how to install it manually.

First, copy mt32emu.dll to c:\windows\syswow64\ mt32emu.dll can be found in ..\munt\bin\mt32emu_win32drv

Second, open regedit and find this key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Look for the values midi-midi9. On a stock Windows 7 install, the values will have wdmaud.drv. Change one of these to mt32emu.dll.

Third, open DOSBox's .conf and set the midiconfig value to the corresponding number for Munt. You can use the command mixer /listmidi at DOSBox's command prompt to see which midi devices are available to DOSBox.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 5, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Since I saw the announcement for Munt 1.2.0, I decided to download it to see what all the fuss was about.

Actually, nothing special. The differences could be heard using a decent audio system / headphones (well, if these not just bugs ). 😉 And watching FFT spectrum, of course...

Drvsetup crashed when trying to install the driver. I believe I have UAC disabled, but maybe I do not. So I figured out how to install it manually.

This is not good. 😒 Could you provide the crash details?

Second, open regedit and find this key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Don't forget about x64 applications 😀 and the corresponding driver. These use another registry path.

Look for the values midi-midi9. On a stock Windows 7 install, the values will have wdmaud.drv. Change one of these to mt32emu.dll.

That sounds wrong. On stock Windows install you should see only one entry for the most annoying thing ever - Microsoft GS synth. Other entries are usually added by USB-MIDI driver (actually by any WDM driver). Another annoying thing - when you reattach the cable to other USB ports the entry remains occupied. So, just do what robertmo said.

Reply 3 of 5, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Drvsetup is also crashing on my stock installation of Windows 8 Pro x64. I had absolutely no midi devices, other than the default that came with a typical Windows installation installed at the time I attempted to run the installation EXE. These are the errors it encountered according to the Event Viewer, in order:

Faulting application name: drvsetup.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x511f4f59
Faulting module name: drvsetup.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x511f4f59
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001989
Faulting process id: 0x1c10
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce2d040ffd4d35
Faulting application path: C:\Users\System Administrator\Desktop\New folder (2)\drvsetup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\System Administrator\Desktop\New folder (2)\drvsetup.exe
Report Id: 4dd9a7f5-98f7-11e2-be8d-00155d8b7e13
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: drvsetup.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x511f4f59
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc00001a5
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x1c10
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce2d040ffd4d35
Faulting application path: C:\Users\System Administrator\Desktop\New folder (2)\drvsetup.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 4e05a628-98f7-11e2-be8d-00155d8b7e13
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Reply 5 of 5, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the late reply, totally spaced on this thread.

I run Symantec Endpoint Protection, and it was completely disabled. No other antivirus/malware surveillance/firewall software was running.

Yes. I was running it as an adminstrator. I also tried it without "Run as Administrator", same outcome.