VOGONS

MT-32 emulator available again!

Topic actions

First post, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Due to recent developments in my discussion with Roland, I've reposted my site. As always, its at http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/ . I've completely revised it and added additional content.

Reply 4 of 83, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have just tried both versions of mt32emu (dosbox and win drv) with Dune2. It sounds completely different with dosbox and with vdmsound (identity.map). Dosbox souds better. Does it mean dosbox mt-32 emulator is better than windows driver for mt32 emulation?

Reply 5 of 83, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes.. I'm sorry. I should have noted this on my page. The driver version is a few revisions behind in the DosBox development. For a while now, since I optimized things and tuned the sound, the Windows driver has been very unstable. The driver version online is the last stable version.

Last edited by canadacow on 2003-12-15, 00:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 83, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

canadacow. please remove the sid part from your link to the forum at your homepage.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 83, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In here it needs: sdl_net.dll, then sdl.dll, then msvcp70.dll and finally msvcr70.dll and then it works 😉
I must also say that sdl.dll i use is about twice smaller in size than the one provided with other versions of dosbox (those without mt32 emulation). If i try to use that larger sdl.dll it doesn't work. So i guess you are just using wrong sdl.dll.
btw- what is the difference between those two sdls?

Reply 10 of 83, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many thanks for the quick help. The point was taking the last stable SDL version (1.2.6) from the official SDL page. No libraries other than sdl_net.dll were needed, though.

Btw, this is absolutely fantastic. The new Roland emulation sounds so much better. I've listened to Prince of Persia 1 and 2 (great custom instruments in 2), Wing Commander 1 and 2, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 and overall it sounds near-perfect. There are some problems with Wing Commander still. I think I will post them later.

Only one thing: I notice some noise in some of the samples. Does that mean they simply weren't recorded better or is it an issue of the emulator?

Reply 14 of 83, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am working on it... as my posts said before Roland issued C&D letters, the technical shortcomings of my emulator are now incredibly hard to pin down and correct. I had identified three things that are hurting the quality of the emulator:

1) Decay times are still not completely accurate (e.g. Monkey Island 1)
2) Instrument volume mixing is off (e.g. Trumpet in SQ3 theme)
3) Completely analogue instruments sound flat. This suggests more work needs to be done on the time variant filter (e.g. background instruments in SQ3 theme)

Of course, Snover, there's nothing stoping you from mastering DSP and finishing this project for me. 😈

Reply 15 of 83, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

will you also emulate the information games were able to send to the display of the MT-32? This is only hearsay but I got it from a good source. With emulate, I mean providing a way to pass it on to whatever app is using the emulator. For example to make it possible to show in the console or even the "window-header" (lack of correct name, sorry) of dosbox.

Reply 16 of 83, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Such a LCD display feature is planned for the driver release of the emulator. In Windows (not sure how this will be accomplished in Linux) the driver will most likely be able to reside in the system tray and flash the text as the MT-32 receives it.

Reply 17 of 83, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

nice!!!
any idea on how to make that work for dosbox? That would make it easy for linux (perhaps).

btw, good to have you back! (well, we never really lost you, just the emulator 😀)

Reply 18 of 83, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Just found this site and am extremely excited.

However, even after sifting through dozens of posts and searching the forum, I am still confused as to where the people who tested the emulator got the ROM from. Was it included in the binary releases of the emulator or does everybody who has tested the emulator own an MT-32 and ripped the ROM himself?

Thanks

Michael