VOGONS

MT-32 emulator available again!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 83, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Salzrat

Bear in mind that Canadacow and this site have been under Roland's scrutiny since he tried to get permission to distribute the ROM. Have a look at the post's about the site being SLAPPED.

I've got a hell of a lot of respect for Dean in trying to get official permission for something that he's put a lot of work into, I'm blown away by the talent of the programers in here.

Reply 22 of 83, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that's true.

I only tuned into this site today, and it's a lot to follow in a few hours. But I am impressed by the results that have come out of it (monkey island mp3), and I hope that the project can continue!

Hopefully, if cc decides to quit, some people will make the rom available somewhere else - this shouldn't harm cc in any way.

But let's see what happens in the near future.

Canadcow, what are the next steps? Are you going to try to get a letter from Roland saying that the ROMs are public domain? From your site, it's now quite clear what will happen next...

Thanks,

Michael

Reply 23 of 83, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The issue between Roland and I was regarding the emulator only. They saw me as a contributory infringer by distributing an emulator that required a ROM they believed to be copyrighted. On the other hand, Roland is not a litigious company and I respect them for that. Despite this, Roland, like any other corporation, is committed to protecting what they believe is their property. To settle this matter completely would most likely require seeking a court's opinion. Since Roland has already yielded to the emulator itself, as a matter of good faith, I'm not particularly interested in continuing a legal fight either.

What happens next, of course, is that I finish tuning the emulator to perfection and then release it as a Windows and Linux driver. This refinement will probably take a great deal of time so expect slow progress on the emulator.

Last edited by canadacow on 2003-12-29, 19:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 83, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Canadcow,

It's good to hear you will continue to work on it.

What do you propose with regard to the ROM? I mean, the ultimate gloal for this emulator is to let people who don't have an MT-32 play games made for it. Of course also as a convenience for people who have it, but well...

If we don't find a way to make the ROM available, will the instructions on how to dump the rom yourself go online again? At least like this, you could buy a used MT-32 on ebay, dump the ROM and then do whatever with it...

Thanks for your input,

Michael

Reply 26 of 83, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, but on the basis that the ROM actually is copyrighted. And the C&D is probably questionable, and cc now does have legal counsel.

Besides what is the point of the emulator if nobody can use it?

Michael

Reply 28 of 83, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, this is true, but either the ROM is available "somewhere", or it is clear how to extract the ROM from the hardware you own. I wouldn't even mind the second option, but if both are not available, then the emulator is useless (except for the select few who already dumped the ROM).

I'm not saying cc should necessarily provide the ROM (although I am wondering whether he couldn't if Roland doesn't find evidence that it is copyrighted).

Anyway, I would really like to try this stuff, so if anybody has any idea how to get the ROM (dump from actual hardware, download, send, whatever) I would be happy if you could drop me a line...

Michael

Reply 29 of 83, by a|A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

glad to see things are working out for you again CC - would have been a pity for all your hard work to go down the drain.

Pity I don't have an MT-32 or a copy of the ROM. But I'm glad to see that the people that DO have the ROM can enjoy your emulator 😁 Maybe Roland will be nice and allow it to be released some day. . . Who knows.

Reply 30 of 83, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering the excellent quality of their Virtual Sound Canvas, I'm rather surprised that Roland aren't more interested in a MT-32 emulator. But then again, if you browse through their website, you won't find any single mention of the MT-32 -- which, for a product that popularized MIDI on the home computing market, seems like it never existed in Roland's corporate history.

Reply 32 of 83, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the MT-32 PCM ROM???

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 33 of 83, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Get your MT-32 ROM here or here.
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 34 of 83, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DOS_Boy wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the MT-32 PCM ROM???

DOS_Boy, the only legal way to get the ROM is to own a MT-32 and dump the ROM contents by yourself. Since there are legal concerns about the copyright of the PCM samples you will not find any information in this site about how to get the MT-32 ROM by any other means.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 39 of 83, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to bother you with this, of course you were right.
By the way, the new version sounds great. Have you increased
the reverb? The trumpet is also much improved.