VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an intel 486dx 33mhz and a roland mt32 connected through a sound blaster 16 ct-1750 dsp rev 4.05. A few days ago I tested monkey island with 'monkey v r' like I normally do. It sounded perfect. A day later I tried it again and it sounded so terribly bad. I would cold boot the pc, use a boot disk, remove sb drivers, turn the mt32 off and on, it sounded like it was sending general midi code to the mt32 however midi messages were coming up on the roland. Everytime I loaded monkey island it sounded different and terrible. However ultima 7 was sounding brilliant. I panicked and started to rip hardware out thinking it was a weird conflict. The mt32 was also giving a midi message of 'no driver' . In the end I did some googling. I hit the turbo button and it started to work again. Everytime I slowed the pc it worked fine. Last night I ran it again with the pc on full speed and it worked! Why so inconsistent?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 1 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow you need the Turbo Button on a 486?

Maybe something to do with the ISA speed. Check if there are any settings in the BIOS relevant to this...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe its this tekram io card. I have 16mb of cache on it. It is insanely fast. Could it be loading monkey island directly into dram cache and causing the speed issue?
I loaded bios defaults and optimum settings. No change. Nothing overclocked in the bios. All standard.

does hdd speed play a role in mt32 midi signal?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 3 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Tekram card really seems to mess things up 😀

Pull it out and see if it makes a difference.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel