VOGONS

First post, by Ganz-HUNGARY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The working BEST solution for MT-32 (or compatible like CM-32L)
The computer 1st. is a Dos-based computer, and the 2nd. is running munt.

You will need:
-2 piece of DB-15 Male connector
-1 meter, minimum 4 wire Alarm-cable
-Soldering iron
-MUNT installed on the 2nd. computer
-MPU-401 compatible card in both computers.

Step-by-Step:
1.: Create the cable:
PC to PC MIDI cable:
Connect MIDITXD to MIDIRXD line

file.php?mode=view&id=12741&sid=fca714676b779915d68a9f62edfb9592

MidiRXD 15, and 12 MidiTXD are Crosslinked!!!!
Both 15 pin D-SUB male connectors

2.: Plug the cabels into the Computers.
DO NOT CONNECT COMPUTERS WHILE TURNED ON!!!!
ITS NOT HOT-PLUG CABLE!! (I killed a soundcard with hotpluging! After attached the cables, You can turn on the computers.

3.: Now, Configure MUNT.
Open munt, Browse for the rom, than test the rom (PCM&Control), Than you can setup, as the following steps:
First open Munt, than go to Tool menu, than select New MIDI port.
file.php?mode=view&id=12738&sid=fca714676b779915d68a9f62edfb9592
Second, Select the midi input device:
file.php?mode=view&id=12739&sid=fca714676b779915d68a9f62edfb9592
And Press OK, than you have the floowing screen. Thats all, with this computer.
file.php?mode=view&id=12740&sid=fca714676b779915d68a9f62edfb9592

4.: Go to the 1st computer, and set your compatible sound card (for example, SoundBlaster AWE64) MPU-401 IRQ to H330.

And run a game, to test it out.

The idea by Ganz-HUNGARY
The connection diagramm by Scorpy.

Attachments

• Diagramm.png
    Filename
    Diagramm.png
    File size
    2.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    connection diagramm
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    20130824230.jpg
    File size
    665.57 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Munt 3
    File license
  • Filename
    20130824228.jpg
    File size
    599.28 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Munt 2
    File license
  • Filename
    20130824227.jpg
    File size
    597.81 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Munt 1
    File license

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is old news and there is an existing thread about this already 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Mau1wurf1977 : What is the purpose of this type of setup? I'm unable grasp the concept of it's practical application.

Or is it a method to use a newer system (preferably) that is able to handle MUNT to act as a LA "module" for use with an older PC, which does not have a true MPU-401 intelligent mode port or a real LA module?

So that means both computers should be on to use the LA synthesis, right?

Wouldn't it be more practical to use Dosbox and Munt on the same system, then? (Unless, maybe for the 'kick' that you can get out of connecting a DOS based PC to a Windows PC to get the LA synth from it?)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You basically turn a spare PC into a "fake" MT-32. Nothing more, nothing less 😀

I totally agree it doesn't make a lot of sense as, like you said, might as well go with DOSBox anyway or just purchase a real MT-32 which should be cheaper than having a second PC tied up.

It does not solve any hanging note or intelligent mode issues of the MPU401 interface in the retro PC in any way shape or form.

It did however allow me to do wicked comparison recordings which I put on YouTube. People couldn't really tell a difference so MUNT has certainly reached a very high standard.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 8, by Ganz-HUNGARY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
You basically turn a spare PC into a "fake" MT-32. Nothing more, nothing less :) […]
Show full quote

You basically turn a spare PC into a "fake" MT-32. Nothing more, nothing less 😀

I totally agree it doesn't make a lot of sense as, like you said, might as well go with DOSBox anyway or just purchase a real MT-32 which should be cheaper than having a second PC tied up.

It does not solve any hanging note or intelligent mode issues of the MPU401 interface in the retro PC in any way shape or form.

It did however allow me to do wicked comparison recordings which I put on YouTube. People couldn't really tell a difference so MUNT has certainly reached a very high standard.

I hate dosbox, but I don't have enough money for a Real MT-32/CM-xxX
which is min. about 100€, or More. 😒

Reply 5 of 8, by Ganz-HUNGARY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malik wrote:
@Mau1wurf1977 : What is the purpose of this type of setup? I'm unable grasp the concept of it's practical application. […]
Show full quote

@Mau1wurf1977 : What is the purpose of this type of setup? I'm unable grasp the concept of it's practical application.

Or is it a method to use a newer system (preferably) that is able to handle MUNT to act as a LA "module" for use with an older PC, which does not have a true MPU-401 intelligent mode port or a real LA module?

So that means both computers should be on to use the LA synthesis, right?

Wouldn't it be more practical to use Dosbox and Munt on the same system, then? (Unless, maybe for the 'kick' that you can get out of connecting a DOS based PC to a Windows PC to get the LA synth from it?)

And yep, we need 2 computers, the 2nd is running with XP, and Munt. Its works an LA module. 😀
And, the 1st, which is my 486, thats running games.
I do not want to have to use more of the Gravis card to MT-32 style sounds come out of it.

Reply 6 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hear that Gravis Ultrasounds are a bit more common in Hungary than in many other countries, maybe you could trade for an MT-32 😀

I could see a use for this if you had a spare Windows XP machine, which are extremely common. Go to a thrift store and you can often find one.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 8, by Ganz-HUNGARY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

I hear that Gravis Ultrasounds are a bit more common in Hungary than in many other countries, maybe you could trade for an MT-32 😀

I could see a use for this if you had a spare Windows XP machine, which are extremely common. Go to a thrift store and you can often find one.

I don't understand that, What you want. 😁