VOGONS

First post, by jekoch1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using an actualy MT-32. So far I've tried booting up The Colonel's Bequest. I've used the command mixer /listmidi and the device shows up. I've set it as the default device in DOSBOX config.

When I load the game, it displays the Midi Message: Welcome to the 20's! and The Colonel's Bequest. There's no sound though.

I have the MT-32 hooked up via an Midisport UNO USB cable with Midi in/midi out.

Any suggestions on why there is no sound out of my speakers?

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you connect the audio out of the mt32 to your speakers (those big connectors are the sound out) ? (and volume control set correctly)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's a common mistake 😀
(and if you have several such devices a hassle)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

That's a common mistake 😀
(and if you have several such devices a hassle)

Fortunately my SC-88 has a line-in jack and MIDI passthru, so in my case I was able to daisy chain both the MIDI in and audio out lines of my SC-88 and MT-32. To use the SC-88, I turn off the MT-32 (it's on the end of the chain). To use the MT-32, I mute the SC-88 (it needs to be on for passthru to work)

The only thing I don't like about my setup is that the line-level input jacks on my Xonar DX are quieter than DOSBox + Windows 7 output by default, so I have to turn down DOSBox's internal mixer and turn my speakers up to compensate. The other option is to use my onboard Realtek chip's line-in in combination with Windows 7's "listen" feature to route it to my Xonar DX in software, but I don't do this because I'm paranoid that it will add extra latency.