VOGONS

MT-32 Emulator and DOSBox Problems

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 48, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tested both of those games on my code. Yes, they indeed cause GPF's. Apparently they don't write to the MT-32 in the normal manner. Stranger still is the fact that the game even drives my real MT-32 SNAFU. This leads me to suspect its something amiss in DosBox's MPU-401 code.

Reply 21 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a reminder that someone actually scanned an official Roland MPU401 manual so you don't have to rely on VDMSound code or those other links in the old DOSBox forum regarding MPU-401's intelligent mode.

See Here:
Re: well, I lost my ebay bids.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 48, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dosbox doesn't emulate MPU-401's intelligent mode. Sound Blaster cards didn't support this either, only Roland's MPU.
Few months ago I was debugging a demo made by group TPC.
Demo was using some strange MPU-401 commands.
Then I googled a bit and learned about intelligent mode. I couldn't find manual then though.
I also didn't know that my two games are using that mode.

The demo: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=4248

edit - I just checked, Raiden and Lost Vikings don't use any of intelligent mode commands, just UART mode (0x3f and 0xff commands only)

Last edited by Srecko on 2004-02-14, 01:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 48, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bleurgh, Underdogs. You know, it's a great site and I'd like to think they really do actually pay attention if people point out that something may not be a/ware, but I know on the one occasion I mentioned something to them that my notice seemed to be directed to /dev/null...

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 27 of 48, by puttesnutte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it's any help...
All Sierra's SCI0-games (King's Quest IV, Space Quest III, Police Quest 2, Larrys 2 & 3 among others) require the MT-32 to be connected to a Roland MPU-401 MIDI-interface (or 100% compatible). If you connect the MT-32 to an old ISA Soundblaster the computer freezes when you try to start the game. There is a patch to fix this. It can be downloaded here: http://agisci.cjb.net/ (go to New SCI-drivers)

If I remember correctly the games work without the patch when connecting the MT-32 to my SoundBlaster Live, so maybe the new SB:s are more Roland-compatible than the old ones.

Reply 29 of 48, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Targaff wrote:

Bleurgh, Underdogs. You know, it's a great site and I'd like to think they really do actually pay attention if people point out that something may not be a/ware, but I know on the one occasion I mentioned something to them that my notice seemed to be directed to /dev/null...

Yeah, but upon further reading of the site, they're about games people have forgotten about, or sleeper hits, or good games that didn't get recognition... They'll usually post links to retail chains for things that aren't that old... So while they do post s lot of abandonware, they'll also post more recent stuff, and if it's out of print/circulation they'll provide a download for it...

Reply 30 of 48, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They also have a fairly specific notice to the effect that if you know of any game they are currently hosting that is not in actual fact out of print/circulation, then you should let them know so they can remove it accordingly. Now if they actually *did* remove them...

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 31 of 48, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where can I find the latest downloadable versions of

curses.dll 2.4.0.0
msvcp70.dll 7.0.9466.0
msvcr70.dll 7.0.9466.0

so I can enjoy DosBox to its fullest? My dlls are a version behind these.
http://www.dll-files.com/ has old versions of msvcp70.dll and msvcr70.dll
(7.0.9064.0)

Reply 34 of 48, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No. Once I have the emulation perfected (or as perfected as its going to get) the DosBox version will cease to exist and will run only as a driver (Win32 and Alsa) release. It'll still work through DosBox through its MPU-401 emulation, however.

The reasons for this is because the MT-32 emulator is a decently-sized project in and of itself and moreover, requires a several files in order to work. To keep the setup of DosBox simple, it just makes more sense to make the final release of the MT-32 a driver.

Reply 38 of 48, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You never know... If you took your MIDI-out from the amiga, use your MPU-401 connection in, and routed it through the Windows driver, it might work flawlessly... Of course I'd say with a modern computer that you'd have one of the most expensive MT-32's available... 😀

Reply 39 of 48, by 459

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Canadacow, you said that you would ship the DLL's in your future releases. However, the latest release doesn't seem to have them and it appears to be practically impossible to track some of the DLL's down. It would serve people if you put them downloadable either included in DosBOX MT or separately.