VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently, I did a complete fresh install of OpenSuse 13.2 on my Lenovo ThinkPad X130e. In which I got DOSBox 0.74 installed and MUNT MT-32 Emulator 1.4.0 installed as well, and even the proper rom files needed, and configuration in DOSBOX to call upon it.

When I start up DOSBox, MUNT recognizes it just fine, and when I play Day of the Tentacle in MT-32 mode, it starts off like it should, music sounds great, but after probably almost fifteen to twenty minutes in, the music just stops, with MUNT saying above the MT-32 screen "Unknown Emulation Mode".

I haven't had much luck searching so far, and wonder if anyone else had ran into this problem. I don't want to have to use the real Roland MT-32 with that machine. 🤣

Reply 1 of 12, by truth_deleted

User metadata

How many times did you reproduce the error? Did you play 20 minutes, restart, find the same error, and then repeat? Did it occur in one location in the game or is your system generating random errors?

If you actually reproduced the error, then did you try MUNT 1.3.0 and test again? This would test whether the error is specific to MUNT and a recent commit. Was there a reason you didn't bother to test the game with the "real Roland MT-32"?

Is there any pattern at all to your system generating errors? Have you considered running music in General MIDI mode, instead of MT-32?

Have you tried a recent SVN version of DOSBox?

Reply 2 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Twice the error happened, though I had not tried after a restart. I simply closed Dosbox and reopened it to play some more again. Different locations in the game, one was in the main lobby in the game, and one was in the security room.

No, I read that version of MUNT is ten years old, would it even be compatible with the current version of Linux?

Not really, if you feel I should give the real MT-32 a try, I will. 😀

Not that I've seen, and I haven't considered that.

I don't think? I got this version from OpenSuse's packages. Is SVN a more updated version of Dosbox 0.74?

-Edit-

It did it to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis too.

Reply 3 of 12, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gah. I only can say it with confidence that I never test munt in this environment. But in Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 11+ I didn't notice similar troubles.
It'd be great if you start mt32emu-qt in a console in order to see if something is reported when you get the sound stopped.

Reply 4 of 12, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I strongly suspect this is famous "broken pipe" issue with ALSA. You should either use another audio system driver in munt or increase audio latency for the ALSA driver as it seems 64 ms is not enough for your env.

Reply 5 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sergm wrote:

Gah. I only can say it with confidence that I never test munt in this environment. But in Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 11+ I didn't notice similar troubles.
It'd be great if you start mt32emu-qt in a console in order to see if something is reported when you get the sound stopped.

I gave launching it a try in the console today, and... few hours later, it's still working solidly. No issues. Could it some how be more stable while being launched through the console over the shortcut I made to launch the file directly?

sergm wrote:

OK, I strongly suspect this is famous "broken pipe" issue with ALSA. You should either use another audio system driver in munt or increase audio latency for the ALSA driver as it seems 64 ms is not enough for your env.

What other drivers are supported? And how do you change the latency? I'm curious about that, just incase I need to try.

Reply 6 of 12, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt an open console might help the ALSA buffer underrun issue I suspected, it's rather in opposite... 😒

I'm sorry for not finishing the UI yet (it still lacks most of tooltips and context help). Pressing the 'Stop' button should make the currently used audio device available for change. Clicking the audio device name will show the list of output audio devices found. Pressing the 'Properties' button will open a dialog that enables to change the timings.

I don't know whether you get the binaries or compiled mt32emu-qt yourself, so not sure which drivers are available for you. But at least at the source level mt32emu-qt supports ALSA, OSS and PulseAudio natively and through PortAudio library. Qt multimedia or Qt mobility can also be used.

Reply 7 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh, because before I was able to switch to another window, like FireFox, and it would immediately make the problem appear. The open console run, I ran Day of the Tentacle all day long with no issue, idling, or switching tasks.

I'll give that a try still, and take a look. 😀 It took me a bit to find how to run it to begin with, since it never created any files in my KDE menu. I made a shortcut to get me to the mt32emu-qt file and launch it. (I'm also still a bit new to Linux, the Lenovo laptop was just a way to dive in. 😀 )

I didn't compile anything, I pretty much just downloaded the rpm file from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/ and had YAST install it.

Reply 8 of 12, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Can you install Ubuntu or Fedora as described in an earlier post? These are the tested platforms, so if not, then it would be reasonable if you helped troubleshoot on the untested linux platforms. If you are not familiar with changing the audio device and which ones are installed, then this information should available in documentation, and if not, then a distribution with documentation is a better choice.

Reply 9 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

Can you install Ubuntu or Fedora as described in an earlier post? These are the tested platforms, so if not, then it would be reasonable if you helped troubleshoot on the untested linux platforms. If you are not familiar with changing the audio device and which ones are installed, then this information should available in documentation, and if not, then a distribution with documentation is a better choice.

I could, but they weren't really the distros of Linux I wanted, though a friend did get me interested in Xubuntu. I don't mind troubleshooting to the best of my ability on OpenSuse with MUNT. Especially if it ends up helping me or others out in the long run. 😀

As far as the audio device goes, now that I know how to change it thanks to sergm's post above, I'll check into it later when I get home. I'll test run everything again and see if I can get it to replicate the issue.

Reply 10 of 12, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry again, no documentation exists for that thing... I could make some notes in wiki but I feel I prefer coding 😀 and quite some tasks still remain in my list. So, no docs for now. IIRC, some guys tried to make a topic regarding this stuff around on VOGONS but looks like it stuck. Well, ReeseRiverson, if you want mt32emu mostly for gaming, try DOSBox patched. It looks more convenient for everyday use and I'm trying to keep the patch in sync.

Reply 11 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sergm wrote:

I'm sorry again, no documentation exists for that thing... I could make some notes in wiki but I feel I prefer coding 😀 and quite some tasks still remain in my list. So, no docs for now. IIRC, some guys tried to make a topic regarding this stuff around on VOGONS but looks like it stuck. Well, ReeseRiverson, if you want mt32emu mostly for gaming, try DOSBox patched. It looks more convenient for everyday use and I'm trying to keep the patch in sync.

Well I suppose if it keeps working just fine, then it won't be an issue. 😀

Though a patched DOSBox isn't ruled out, since marooned_on_mars may be able to help me there. 😀