VOGONS

First post, by mt32questions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,
When my dad passed away, I inherited all of his musical equipment. I'm a musician and I'm familiar with what the MT32 is, but the more research I do, the more I find that there's a lot more to it.

I know it's the old no-headphones generation, but I don't have its original ACB120 power supply. I plugged in a Roland ACI 120C because the voltage matches that of the original and it has a negative tip/center and that gets it turned on just fine.

Truth is, I don't have any use for it and I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to fill me in on what I should know in order to sell it. Things like if the power source I have makes any difference, does my serial # correlate to anything other than old vs new generations? Are there any known for being better/worse than others etc. Also, what a good price to expect for it would be. It looks like it came straight out of the box and appears to work perfectly well. I have my doubts as to whether or not my dad ever even used it as he was somewhat of an eccentric when it came to collecting anything music related.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Reply 1 of 4, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's some information here regarding serial numbers vs ROM versions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lord_Nightmare

You might want to do a self-test on the unit, by pressing 3 + Volume while turning it on.

There are replacement power sources sold online, so you could sell the MT-32 alone by itself and most likely find a buyer.

As for pricing, look at recent sales on eBay but also take a look at AmiBay (a message board) where people trade/sell retro stuff between enthusiasts, to have a general idea of price.

Have you tested it with an instrument, or computer?

Last edited by Beegle on 2015-02-11, 16:35. Edited 1 time in total.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 4, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beegle wrote:

You might want to do a self-test on the unit, by pressing 3 + Master Volume while turning it on.

3 + VOLUME (not MASTER VOLUME)
Just did it on mine.

Reply 4 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the OP is going to do a self test on his MT-32, he will need to connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN in order to successfully complete the test.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog