VOGONS

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's my understanding that the MT-32 rev0, the one without headphones, has some defects in it that some developers (mostly Sierra) exploited on purpose to produce a certain sound. Rev1's and CM-32L's correct these hardware defects, and games that exploit the defects won't sound right on them.

Does Munt emulate these bugs correctly, and do those games sound right on it? Or does it emulate a corrected piece of hardware? Or is this a setting?

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 2, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't call them defects. It was more a case of that custom sound effects created for MT-32 (Old) wouldn't sound the same on MT-32 (New) and CM / LAPC-I units.

And yes, as long as you give Munt ROMs from a MT-32 (Old), it will play these sound effects. Sierra and Dynamix are good games to test this 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 2, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The correct answer would be "yes and no". The defects thecrankyhermit means are software bugs in reality. As we know, no functional change related to the core synth chip LA32. Those bugs allowed composers to go out the bounds specified by Roland for various patch properties and create sounding impossible to achieve otherwise. So, newer units rather "functionally limited" in this respect 😀

Besides that, there are changes in both digital and analog audio circuits targeted to improve overall sound quality, notably the reverb. Munt is aimed to accurately emulate all these stuff but we're currently paused on some of the Control ROM bugs still not emulated (mostly due to lack of time to perform accurate analysis of Control ROM code).