VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I was wondering if there was any way to emulate an MT-32 within Windows 98, and then get that working with games played in DOS within Windows 98, without the use of emulators such as DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 3, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If Munt runs in Windows 98, you can use two midi interfaces. The output of the first, goes into the input of the second, which goes into Munt.

Another solution is using a second computer as a Munt / BASSMIDI box. I've got a guide on this if you're interested.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 3, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, there.

I have a Windows 98 compatible setup that involves midi-yoke for Win98. Nevertheless, I just want to remind that munt is demanding for a typical Windows 98 setup. It seems impractical to try gaming with MT-32 emulation on a PC that offers less than ~1GHz. But if you have such a PC, it's unclear why not to upgrade OS (either Windows XP or a linux distro). So, I stopped on the attempt to port the MIDI driver and stuff which besides being quite complex to implement (need old compiler and SDK for 16-bit drivers, all of which is abandonware today) yet might not being useful at all.