VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm wondering how many games are affected by the vibrato issue. Monkey Island 2 and Space Quest 3 are obvious examples but i'm wondering if there are more. Why? Well for someone who owns a MT-32 Old and a 3rd Generation LA module like the CM-500 or the CM-32LN this could not be a big issue. In fact, only in Space Quest 3 i find the vibrato to be a little distracting, i actually think it sounds cool on Monkey Island 2. But in any case, i have an MT-32 so i could play those games with it instead.

Now what's REALLY important. Are any of the games that also support the 33 extra sound effects use vibrato? For someone that also owns an MT-32 i don't think this is an issue.

Reply 1 of 2, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Now what's REALLY important. Are any of the games that also support the 33 extra sound effects use vibrato? For someone that also owns an MT-32 i don't think this is an issue.

Sort of. Some sounds in Monkey Island sound different / better on CM units. This might be because of the extra sound effects, or because of unit specific other stuff. A good example is right at the beginning, if you go to the kitchen behind the bar. There is a sound of onions slicing or something like that. The sound sounds fuller on the CM unit. Spitting sounds also sound fuller I believe.

But Monkey Island 2 is an odd game anyway with many sounds not playing on the Roland option. I believe NewRisingSun has worked on a patch for this game.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 2, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Hmmm i can't be bothered with that. In fact for Monkey Island 2 i find that the faster vibrato actually sounds cute. The only game i would prefer not to use a 3rd generation LA synth would be Space Quest 3. This is a game where the faster vibrato is rather distracting. At this point it seems to be the only game for me where i wouldn't want to use a CM-500 or a CM-32LN. I might seriously consider to get one.