VOGONS

First post, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there such a thing? I've ran into few soundtracks that are over 800k in size and all refuse to work stating "out of memory". The thing is, it doesn't specify what memory (RAM, conventional). It happens with all the midi players I've tried, so I presume it is the size of the file in question.

Reply 1 of 13, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which MIDI players have you tried? Only DOS ones? Remember that DOS itself has a 640K limit, and unless the MIDI player jumps through hoops with EMS/XMS, that is going to be the limit.

Reply 2 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been meaning to make a thread like this for quite some time, I'd like a solution to this too... tried mfplay/gsplay and they don't work with big midis... anyone knows of another player that does not have this problem?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried munt player? I can't remember setting any limits there and e.g. QS MIDIs play just well. I don't think DOS players exist which rely on EMS/XMS or use a DOS extender. The point is standard MIDI file was always thought as quite compact musical file format 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NewRisingSun wrote:

Which MIDI players have you tried? Only DOS ones? Remember that DOS itself has a 640K limit, and unless the MIDI player jumps through hoops with EMS/XMS, that is going to be the limit.

Yes, pretty much all DOS versions. I'd like to be able to play everything in DOS. Obviously I could just use modern gear and Windows, but it doesn't have the same feel. So it is the conventional memory that's limiting the whole thing and there's nothing one can do with EMS/XMS/RAM?

Reply 6 of 13, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid nothing. But you can sure do something with MIDI editors (like Cakewalk). As you want to feel like good old times, you need to use old MIDIs. I'm sure there were no 512 KB files before.

The primary reason of growing MIDI files is they are captures made with high MIDI tick frequency (about 1 millisecond). This approximately doubles MIDI file size vs. old-fashioned values like PPQN 24. Another obvious reason is attempting to put a whole game MIDI soundtrack into a single file. Usually, games use multiple of files compressed, so should you dealing with pure DOS.

Reply 8 of 13, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i vaguely remember there was a program to 'compacting' the midi file size, its works by removing unnecessery midi opcodes and various stuff like minimizing the number of tracks chunks (not to be confused with midi channel). And because of that, even the playback are mostly unaffected the optimized midi file became more annoying to edit.

-fffuuu

Reply 9 of 13, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

Another obvious reason is attempting to put a whole game MIDI soundtrack into a single file. Usually, games use multiple of files compressed, so should you dealing with pure DOS.

Yes, that is the problem right there. I'd like to be able to listen the whole soundtrack without pauses, that's why the file is so big as it contains more than an hour of music. But glad to know my hunch was correct, thanks!

Reply 10 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sergm wrote:
Zup wrote:

Cubic Player?

I'm in doubt if this thing is capable to produce MIDI output at all. It seems to me it's a softsynth rather. At least, the doc says only about GUS patches.

Cubic Player indeed does not play MIDI files out of the box. It can play them if provided the GUS patches, probably the way the GUS would play them, and not as FM MIDI. Usually sounds better.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 12 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt they are going to incorporate anything new at this point. My understanding was that the point of Cubic's MIDI support was to play back MIDI files as high-quality digital audio, not pass them to some external MIDI handler. But I believe you are right - MIDI written for MT-32 will not sound right if played through GM/GUS.

P.S. I only now noticed that the thread was opened in the MT-32 forum, so perhaps the OP is referring to MT-32 soundtracks specifically.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys