VOGONS

Mix Midi with Digital Sound

Topic actions

First post, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys,

I know this is an emulation section, but I'm thinking you guys would be best to ask.

Phil at philscomputerlab has been helping me quite a bit. Thanks Phil! Here's what I want to accomplish...

I currently have an AWE64 Gold and an MT-32. I have the MT-32 working great in both Win98 and another Dos 6.22 install. What I can't get going is mixing the MT-32 with the AWE64. I've tried outputting the MT-32 audio to the line in on the AWE64 and no luck there. However, I believe an external mixer would be best as I'd like to add more devices. Ideally, I'd add a GUS, CM-32l, and ann SC55. So, I'll need some kind of switching anyway and I'm figuring one device might exist to handle that along with the mixing.

I have (2) ISA slots on my mboard and the AWE64 is using one now. I'd be open to an LAPC, but that kills my other slot. More generally, I'm open to any/all suggestions. I'd like to accomplish the "best" possible setup. I know that is VERY subjective. This machine will be used primarily for most things Sierra, all point-and-clicks, and some early 90's stuff. I'm currently running with an Asus P5A-B mboard with a KIII+ 450 with 256MB RAM and a Voodoo 3 3500. I went this route as Phil did a build where you can step down the internal and external cache (even with software). That part is working great. I'm not that price sensitive, so really just want to track down what would give me the "best" options for these games. I went for the AWE64 Gold thinking it would be a great option, but now getting myself in trouble and reading more about OPL-3. I was way more a video guy than a sound guy, so a lot of this is new to me.

I'd appreciate any help both with the mixing/switching issue and also with general recommendations for an internal option to pair with all of this. I've read many of the threads here already and believe this is a bit unique and deserved it's own thread. Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will need a dedicated mixer , there is no other better way that I know off. Forget internal pc stuff.
Here is an older pic of my setup:

25k35ae.jpg

Let me explain:
On the left (not entirely vissible) is an AUDIO SWITCH , that has 3 inputs that go to: CM-32L , MT-32 and SC-55. The output of the switch goes to the mixer in STEREO-IN-3 . So whatever device I chose from the switch it goes to the 4th slider (labeled camera/audio)

STEREO-IN-1 carries the Soundblaster audio.
STEREO-IN-2 carries the GUS audio.

So, I just open the sliders I need (pictured is GUS turned almost to full volume) and sound goes to the speakers. The setup is REALLY great since you can fine-tune volumes on the fly. You can mix all SB+GUS+MIDI inputs at once , really useful.

Hope this helps!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It helps amazingly! How are you switching between the midi connections to the PC? What are you running for an internal SC? What's the box sitting directly next to the 32L doing? Thanks!

EDIT - would it be fair to say that if you had a mixer with more inputs it would eliminate the need for a switch? Not a lot of those mixers on eBay it seems...

Reply 3 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry for not answering earlier. Also, good on you for signing up to VOGONS.

The AWE64, by default, doesn't mix through the line-in.

Under DOS, you need to run the mixer tool, I believe it's MIXERSET. What is important that two things are done:

1. On the left side, the line-in slider is not set to the left.
2. On the bottom right side, under output, L and R for line-in, and CD, if you're using an analogue CD-ROM audio cable, needs to be ticked.

Similar under Windows, make sure line-in is not muted under the output section.

I'm sure I've explained this in one of my videos, but don't ask me in which one 🤣

I have a similar setup to Keropi.

I have 4 MIDI devices, MT-32 (Old), CM-32L, SC-55 and MU80 going into a 4 to 1 switch box.

The 4 in 1 switch box goes into a Phone 4 Stereo channel mixer, together with AWE64 Gold (for digital sound effects) and CD-Audio (I built something to hook up the CD-Audio to the mixer). That way I have full control over everything.

JbrY0jqh.jpg

This is the mixer that I have, or a similar model: http://www.phonic.com/en/am-240d.html

Important is that it has STEREO line-inputs. Not MONO inputs. So don't just go by "4 channel mixer", that could be for 4 microphone ports, all being MONO. Now you could go with a better mixer with more inputs, but prices ramp up fast. I would love to have a 10 channel mixer, but they cost quite a bit more.

I would ditch the GUS, it has a very special / niche use, but not needed if you have Roland or Yamaha MIDI gear already. It's also a resources night mare, not for the retro beginner 🤣

For MIDI, I used to use a MIDI hub, but that gave me hanging notes. Then I used to use MIDI-THRU to put all MIDI devices in series, but that means all of them need to be powered on if you're using the last one.

Now I just have 4 MIDI leads going near the computer, with labels, and I manually plug them into a MIDI joiner.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-08-13, 16:04. Edited 3 times in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, Phil! I will check that for sure. Still, I definitely want to go the external route, but this is great in the interim.

This looks like a possibility:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321825831103?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I imagine I'd want an active one. Would be nice to find one with a few more inputs though...

Last edited by NooNaN on 2015-08-13, 16:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding that little box next to the CM-32L , that's called a MPU-THRU box. It takes 1 midi input (from the MPU card in the PC) and has 5 outputs, each one guaranteed to be the same as the input signal. So basically all 5 modules in the picture get the pc midi signal simultaneously. That's how I "switch" midi connections 😉

Internal SC? I don't use one, I have a MPU-401AT sending out the midi signal to the MPU-THRU box.

You got that right, if you have a mixer with 8 inputs for example then you can control 8 devices without an audio switch. But since there is only need for only 1 midi device to be "live" (at a game for example, you don't want to hear both CM-32L and SC-55 sounds) a switch is a nice and cheap solution.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, that's making sense. Even at the low levels, if all Midi devices are getting the signal, there's some element of competition between them. I would think you could just only power up the one you were using though, no?

That MPU-THRU box is a must-have. I'll track one down. So how do you get away with no internal SC? Again, forgive me here as I'm green on this stuff, but don't a significant amt of games use both midi and digital sound?

Reply 7 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MPU-THRU box does just that: gives the same signal at the same time at all devices. Ofcourse you can power on the one you need, you just leave them all plugged and don't mess with midi cables.

By internal SC you mean internal Sound Canvas , right? Well the MPU-401 + SC-55 external module is the same as the SCC-1 card, instead of internal it's external.

Reply 8 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha, no, sorry, meant Sound Card, but I got it. Regarding Phil's comment about having to have the Midi devices powered on if using the last one, that might play a factor for me. I guess I don't really mind having the cables laying right next to the CPU and switch as needed. But, would the other way mean that I could mix them, basically while in-game? That would be cool to instantly hear the difference.

Phil - the GUS was def at the back of my list. I likely won't be getting it anytime soon.

I think I know what I need now on the Midi front - really appreciate it guys!

Phil - on another note, my Bios has an option where I can select the boot HDD to either IDE or SCSI. So, I may just get a SCSI setup for windows and keep dos on the IDE drive. I can boot to either with a quick bios setting. This should eliminate any weird stuff with boot managers and will eliminate the need for the drive bays. I'll have to make sure I get the network going so I can xfer files though, otherwise, having them removable to move files would be a great convenience.

Reply 9 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, sound card... I do have a SB16 CT2230 and a GUS Classic , and YES with a mixer you can change volumes whenever you like, REALLY useful!

bonus pic: the internals of the THRU box 🤣

IMG03017-20131113-1110_zps6bf620be.jpg

and another one I own:

IMG02298-20130621-1029_zps89aa3562.jpg

Reply 10 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome - thank you again! I'll probably chime back in once something doesn't work perfectly in a couple of weeks. 😀

Should the mixer definitely be active and not passive?

I notice you guys have LCD monitors. I picked up some higher end Viewsonic prof series ones. Any reason you guys don't go with CRTs other than the obvious size/space?

Reply 11 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on the quality of the mixer really, there are passive mixers costing 6 times what I payed for mine...
I use lcd only because of space issues...

Reply 12 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This little guy looks like it would hold me over:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Minimix-II-Ster … r-/321825831103?

If I use a switch, would only really need two of these inputs for a while...one for the AWE64 and one from the Midi switch. I like the headphone out right in front also.

If I ever needed to, is there any way to adapt to that channel 1 type input?

Reply 13 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes that mixer is nice 😀
forget input-1 , that's a mono input for microphones, pretend it doesn't exist. 🤣

Reply 14 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is interesting as it has discrete switches for each input...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-AT8521 … =item25ab84f44d

This might be a more reliable choice though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midi-Solutions-Quadra … =item3a901a4e1e

Reply 15 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 2nd one doesn't work properly, Phil had one and tested it.
I can't comment on the 1st one, should be good as it's old 🤣

Reply 16 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! Exactly why I wanted to mention them. Do you usually acquire your stuff from eBay? I'd like to get all this soon, but don't want to grab up the first stuff I see. Really appreciate your help guys!

Reply 17 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mainly eBay yeah... though I put an ad on a local forum for musicians and I got the KENTON midi-thru box . The midiman/mixer/switches were all eBay purchases.

Reply 19 of 42, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yea, sorry. I couldn't decide initially which to open it in. I figured I'd get more relevant responses here as it was initially MT-32 related.