VOGONS

First post, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an MT-32 bought several years ago.
I also have a CM-32L bought from Japan last year.
Both bought used.

The CM-32L has a much lower volume than the MT-32.
I have to turn my speaker volume almost to maximum to hear the CM-32L.

Is it normal for the CM-32L to have lower volume than the MT-32?

Or is it possible that the previous owner of the CM-32L might have tried a mod to reduce the volume in order to reduce the clipping issue with the CM-32L?
The clipping issue is described in Phil's video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvsaJ4h-VY

Is there a CM-32L mod that reduces volume internally to avoid the clipping?

Reply 1 of 6, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which gen of MT-32 do you have?
This sounds to me like you have the old one without headphone jack, and you have CM-32L attached to the line output. I think you'll get CM-32L output louder with headphone jack.

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also connect my CM-32L with the line-out jacks in the back, it's not normal to turn the speakers all the way up to hear it... it is true that the headphone jack will have higher volume by default since it's amplified AFAIK. It might worth the shot to open the CM-32L and see if you can find any funny business going on, perhaps a bad capacitor or something

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both are connected using the R and L jacks.
The MT-32 is the old one -- no headphone jack, only the 1/4" R and L.

I guess I'd better check the caps on the CM-32L.
Thanks.

Reply 4 of 6, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found more information about why the volume of the CM-32L might be low at a web archive of the Quest Studios webste
https://web.archive.org/web/20140904195249/ht … hp?topic=3564.0

Cloudschatze wrote:

Here's a SysEx string that sets the Master Volume to 70:
F0 41 10 16 12 10 00 16 46 14 F7

My CM-32L obviously has lower volume than 70%, but I wonder if the low volume could have been caused by sending the CM-32L a SysEx string to set the master volume at 30% or 40%. Or would the volume have been reset the next time I played a game that used SysEx?

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CM-32L does not save any settings, once power-cycled everything resets to defaults

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 6, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

CM-32L does not save any settings, once power-cycled everything resets to defaults

🙁
Oh well. So much for that idea then.

No obvious leakers or bulgers when I opened the case either.