VOGONS

First post, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people ! I arrived today my MT-32 both expected (soon SC88), I came up with this power supply

10V - 860mA

9jQ4D0h.jpg

using this power source could damage the equipment? Since the voltage is increased and mA

Thanks in advance !

Reply 1 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1V more should cause any issues, but it's not recommended. The mA figure should be higher than what is written on the MIDI device. The ones I use are 9V and 1660 mA.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 8, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

1V more should cause any issues, but it's not recommended. The mA figure should be higher than what is written on the MIDI device. The ones I use are 9V and 1660 mA.

Good point , I thought it worked with 9V 650mA back of the MT-32 says, what would be the correct mA or function properly?

Reply 5 of 8, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Also check the polarity. Most of the Roland equipment's polarity is reversed (positive on the outside, negative on the inside).

Thanks , good data, seeing the photo of the power supply I think it says on the drawing down of words and the voltage at the center is negative, I think, but I'm not sure, I'm not very knowledgeable of electronics

Reply 6 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes the polarity is reversed compared to most. Sega Genesis / Mega Drive adapter works great 😀 But there are replacement adapters on eBay too.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The polarity is correct on the PSU pictured so no worries there 😀
The MT-32 has a 7805 inside that feeds the whole unit with 5v , it can take just fine 10 or 12v (or even more) but it will produce more heat bringing that down to 5v. +1v won't make much of a difference in terms of heat (and the 7805 is fixed to the metal chassis so it acts like a big heatsink) so if the PSU seems like a good one you can safely continue to use it.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 8, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help people, I appreciate it, this week will be tested to see if it works well, for now the MT32 is unchecked

philscomputerlab : I think I have a power source Sega Genesis, not a bad idea to try to see if it works

keropi : good one! I think with that information can prove the MT-32 without problems for a while, I'll probably buy a better quality PSU shortly