Topic actions

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grettings, first sorry my english

I downloaded latest munt from sourceforge, v1.5

I have a real MT-32 connected to PC using USB interface, and the x68000 emulator sound great for games that support MT-32 (Final Fight for example)

My idea is to replace the Mt-32 with munt, to save some space, but after some test.... i only can say that sound terrible... the music is totally incorrect, 100% different.... like missing notes... similar to listen to a MT-32 game in a SC-55 module....

I check that munt is working good, because games in dosbox sound OK, very close to my real MT-32

Any ideas?

Thanks

001.jpg

Reply 4 of 33, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks for reply!

Yes, with the USB midi cable and real MT-32, the music from winx68k highspeed is correct. I know is correct, because i have a real sharp x68000 to compare

I disconnect the USBmidi and unplug MT-32 to be sure, and change the emulator config to use Munt instead of the real MT-32 as midi output

I test some different config, but same **Sorry bad quality pictures, is a CRT screen**

mt2.jpg

I know munt is working, because i can see in the QT menu, the LCD panel "lights" working

mt1.jpg

In dosbox or scummvm, the difference between MT-32 and Munt is minimal, something that i dont care.... but the difference from real MT-32 and munt is TOO much....

Hope i can explain myself! jeje

Thanks

Reply 5 of 33, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed the checkbox 'Pin Synth' is disabled. This may be the cause if the emu sends the init sequence to the synth and reopens the MIDI port afterwards. Unfortunately we cannot see if some custom patches are loaded at the pic... Also, there are two synth tabs opened which is quite suspicious.

Reply 6 of 33, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

I noticed the checkbox 'Pin Synth' is disabled. This may be the cause if the emu sends the init sequence to the synth and reopens the MIDI port afterwards. Unfortunately we cannot see if some custom patches are loaded at the pic... Also, there are two synth tabs opened which is quite suspicious.

Hi sergm, thanks for ideas

I check the "Pin Synth", and take a look some options inside properties, like delay all messages, etc no luck
(about second tab sorry, I think it was i was testing some midi)

I try with a different game, Akumajou Dracula, and same, the music in MT-32 mode is incorrect. Again, real MT-32 sound great

mt5.jpg

About custom patches, yes,im pretty sure they are loaded. When the game is loading, i get memory messages in Munt panel, like in real MT-32

When playing, i can see some custom patches in memory

Maybe im wrong, but i think is working OK about this

**sorry the picture, my phone camera is slow like hell, and midi panel is fast 😵 🤣 **

mt4.jpg

Reply 8 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The reasons I asked about the USB MIDI adapter is that many cheap adapters work great with General MIDI SoundFonts, but fail with Munt.

I recommend the Roland UM-ONE MKII as it works great with Munt.

Regarding setting up Munt to use the USB adapter, check out my video on a related topic: https://youtu.be/nvuncHhza5A

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 33, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I understand, the setup doesn't involve MIDI cable at all, the MIDI session in mt32emu-qt says it's an .exe directly connected via the Windows MIDI driver.
The driver previously did behave badly when MIDI messages were sent fragmented or several in a single packet. But I hope it is now immune to this. I well may be wrong, so the actual MIDI captures are appreciated. Also, output from the mt32emu-qt debugging console may give a hint.

Reply 10 of 33, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, note, you can use a thing like MIDI Yoke to direct emu output to mt32emu-qt (it can open an input MIDI port you choose, use the "+" button in the MIDI section or the main menu item "Tools/New MIDI Port..."). This way we can quickly test whether it's the munt MIDI driver's fault.

Reply 11 of 33, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

That's weird, indeed. Could you please take a recording from mt32emu-qt and using some other way, so I could see where the problem lies?

Thanks a lot sergm

First, two records, same music, from munt and real MT-32 next

http://www.akihabara-online.com/tmp/Akumajo-Munt.mp3

http://www.akihabara-online.com/tmp/Akumajo-MT-32.mp3

And a video, sorry the quality

**NOTE: I think, sometimes sound different, from 10 times i open the game, sometimes one sound a little better... maybe a problem uploading patches?

https://youtu.be/9BXsuVMh7V8

Reply 12 of 33, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

Also, note, you can use a thing like MIDI Yoke to direct emu output to mt32emu-qt (it can open an input MIDI port you choose, use the "+" button in the MIDI section or the main menu item "Tools/New MIDI Port..."). This way we can quickly test whether it's the munt MIDI driver's fault.

Sorry, you post while i was makeing my post

The "+" button or "New MIDI Port" menu, both are grayed out

Reply 14 of 33, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
theelf wrote:

The "+" button or "New MIDI Port" menu, both are grayed out

That's OK if there is no MIDI input ports installed in the system. Also it might be the case if you had 32-bit driver and run 64-bit app but I haven't published that yet 😀

You need a virtual MIDI cable soft. I mentioned MIDI Yoke for historical reasons, loopMIDI by Tobias Erichsen performs much better, and on 64-bit system as well.

Reply 15 of 33, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eventually, you should end up with a config similar to the screen. Then you set the emu to output to the OUT MIDI Yoke port with the same number.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    18.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 33, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks

XP 32bits here, finally I use loopMIDI

Im sorry about the recordings, here is your midi 😊

http://akihabara-online.com/tmp/out.mid

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry im not very helpful, im much better with real hardware, midi emulation is still a mistery for me 😀

Reply 17 of 33, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, at least there are a lot of errors in the debug console like

playSysexWithoutHeader: Unsupported command 40
playSysexWithoutHeader: Message is too short (0 bytes)!
Part 1 (): Completely muted instrument
Part 4 (): Completely muted instrument
Part 5 (): Completely muted instrument

Let's see if they are gone with loopMIDI setup