VOGONS

MT32 + USB = problem. Please read

Topic actions

First post, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I previously used my MT32 on a PC equipped with MIDI ports and it was fine.

Now I'm using it on a Mac running WIn7 via Parallels and a USB MIDI adapter. DOSBOX is setup correctly. My issue is here:

Games which DO NOTuse the MIDI message work perfect... Stunts, Lotus III, DUNE etc...

BUT

Games like Police Quest II, Monkey Island II etc do NOT show the message (like Lucasarts or Sierra etc..) and the music sounds bad.

I'm lost!

Win 7 : Core2Quad 2.4Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Audigy 4 Pro
Win 98: Pentium III 600Mhz, 448MB Ram, Matrox Millenium DualHead 32MB, Sound Blaster 32, Roland MT-32
Win 98: Compaq Armada 7400 P2 333Mhz, 192MB Ram, ESS AudiDrive 1879 with Wavetable

Reply 1 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why don't you run Dosbox natively on OS X? Running emulation inside a virtualization has proven to be problematic (for example mouse movement/precision).
Also play with the midi settings in the dosbox config.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 37, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried native OSX Dosbox and also native ScummVM. Both have issues with Lucasarts and Sierra games which use the Midi Message and also Playmid to emulate GM gets stuck.

It seems the usb device is not maybe 100% compatible ?

Win 98: Pentium III 600Mhz, 448MB Ram, Matrox Millenium DualHead 32MB, Sound Blaster 32, Roland MT-32
Win 98: Compaq Armada 7400 P2 333Mhz, 192MB Ram, ESS AudiDrive 1879 with Wavetable

Reply 3 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Could you do a detailed bug report on what is wrong with native dosbox? It's a much better way to get to the root.
But yes, the USB device might just be bad since you seem to have the same issue in native dosbox and in parallels dosbox...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 37, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321479639414?_trksi … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT except mine looks like it but without "Midi" written on it. But that is the auction the actual sale I bought it from.

3.39 GBP from eBay, so yeah quite cheap.

I tried it on Win 7 through Parallels on the Mac. I don't have any PC's set up, just Macs. Unless, I guess I could try it on an old Pentium III laptop I have which has XP on it. But I doubt DosBox will even run on it.

Reply 7 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There was somewhere an interesting analysis of those usb adapters. The ghist was that thise can be pretty badly wired inside and not always looking the same.
I have one of those that works perfectly but the post/blog/whatever had a bad apple that needed to be rewired to work.

Reply 8 of 37, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm, so there is something wrong with those crappy cheap adapters.
I made a video about mine a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-y7LovroA

My YouTube Channel

Reply 9 of 37, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found they work ok with DOSBox, but not the other way round, as a MIDI input.

Best to buy a decent brand to be honest.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 37, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the issue with the one I have is actually PROGRAMMING the MT-32. In a sense that games which don't send a Midi Message* appear fine - Dune, Lotus III etc.. but games that do Midi Message* do not work properly and show no Midi Message* - Ski or Die, Monkey Island II, Police Quest II, Wing Commander etc...

Also, Playmid mt2gm just gets stuck. Also if I quit Dosbox during monkey island II/PQ2 etc during certain points the green LED gets stuck and I need to reset the MT-32.

*MIDI MESSAGE = "INSERT BUCKAZOID" etc.. etc..

The MT-32 the same one worked fine using a real PC with real MIDI ports (SB Audigy II Gold with MIDI breakout box)

Reply 11 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Found the blog post http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-usb-mi … ay-be-required/
Reading the comments is good on this post 😉
Get rid of this cable 😉

Reply 12 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The funny part is, those missing components fit quite nicely! You're not paying for a MIDI adapter so much as a cable, plastic casing, and PCB. Supply some of the SMD components yourself.

That isn't, however, what they advertise.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 37, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting read. Sounds like a lot of work to modify my adapter if it is indeed the case which it probably is.

Can you recommend me an inexpensive adapter which I can use ? The Roland one looks nice but I don't want to spend the best part of 40 Euros on a USB MIDI adapter.

Reply 14 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interfaces from MOTU and Midiman are as or more expensive than Roland. There may be fully functional no-name units or brand name devices on the used market for less.

Reply 15 of 37, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dougal, before you buy yet another (and well may be potentially broken) USB-MIDI cable, I'd recommend to give your cheap cable a try within a Linux VM. Same as you, I also have acquired a cheap one, and expectedly it didn't work with Sysex messages in Windows. But then, I found it working in Ubuntu box just perfectly (I guess cheap OS is tuned to be compatible with cheap devices, heh). So, I ended up with a custom userland MIDI driver that relies on libusb you can find at https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/tree/mast … windrv/usb-midi. It well may be useful for other cheap USB-MIDI things, I guess.

On the other hand, I've also got a "brand name" USB-MIDI "MIDITECH MIDILINK-mini" cable which costs times more. And it appeared also broken when it comes to transfer MT-32 related Sysexes. So, paying more not necessarily guarantees the cable is suitable.

FYI: I also tried both cables on a Mac lately (just out of curiosity how good are USB-MIDI class drivers in OS X) and both also failed to transfer Sysexes. 🙁

Reply 16 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think those cheap ones were okay at some point but got badly copied later on. As I wrote my cheap one, looking like the one above works fine on OS X, sysexes are transferred etc. But it is about 7-8 years old, so the market might have been swamped by cheap ones since then.

Reply 17 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It a process called cost-down. You pull parts out until the device stops working, then add the last few parts back in so that the device still sorta kinda works.

Reply 18 of 37, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. But I think it also relates to OS quality coming down these days 🙁

Dominus, I noted my cheap cable looks exactly as one of the recommended cheap cables known to work with MT-32. So, you're seemingly right as usual 😀

Reply 19 of 37, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sergm, I'll try your suggestion of Linux. To make things easier for testing I happen to have an old 2006 Intel iMac which as Ubuntu installed on it 😀

In the meantime I stupidly ordered another cheap cable. I also popped down to the electronics shop which happens to be down the road from work and bought a low current opto-coupler and 220ohms resistor just IN-CASE the adapter may need that MOD that Dominus posted.