VOGONS

First post, by Purduecoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the SCI1 games, am I getting the best possible sound by choosing the MT-32 with CLI Soundblaster option in the install utility (using munt and dosbox) or do I need to use the general midi and digitized sound effects work arounds that are out there and effectively append the digitized sound effects Into the general midi file?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SCI1 games' soundtracks were all still composed on the MT-32 (with the exception of maybe one or two titles that were composed on the CM-32L).
Although Sierra did release General MIDI patches for these, they will sound better (in my opinion) on an MT-32.
It was only with the introduction of their SCI1.1 games that they would shift to compose their music for General MIDI (most were composed on the Roland SC-55 Mk1).

Reply 2 of 4, by Purduecoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information. So, using the configuration I detailed above (Munt with DOSBox), does choosing MT-32 with CLI Soundblaster actually enable the digitized sound effects to be heard as they were originally intended?

Reply 3 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think everything after LB2 was composed for SC55, although the GM for LB2 sounds pretty great anyway.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Purduecoz wrote:

Thanks for the information. So, using the configuration I detailed above (Munt with DOSBox), does choosing MT-32 with CLI Soundblaster actually enable the digitized sound effects to be heard as they were originally intended?

Yes, that is correct. For all SCI1 (and later) games, you should have the option in the setup menu to choose Roland MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64/LAPC-I with CMS Sound Blaster.
For a list of which games were written with which version of the interpreter, check out Wikipedia (search for Sierra Creative Interpreter).