VOGONS

Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Munt is updated pretty consistently in the source tree, although Sergm looks like he's taking a well deserved break this spring.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 161 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I updated the OP with the appropriate information, but Stretch will work if you substitute the QT5 multimedia dev package for QTMobility.

Reply 163 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's my preference as well, but I see no reason to restrict people's options. Both xmt32 and mt32d will still be compiled without Qt being linked in.

Reply 165 of 292, by Samiscool51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I updated the OP with the appropriate information, but Stretch will work if you substitute the QT5 multimedia dev package for QTMobility.

the said package name is qtmobility-dev for people building it themselves, can you make a note of this in the OP for future reference? just makes it easier for people building it themselves
EDIT: you need glib2.0 for it to work as well, can this also be added into the OP as well?
after that the building of the source worked

Reply 166 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup. I built using the Buster qtmultimedia packages which already depend on glib. It should be explicitly included for earlier releases.

Reply 167 of 292, by Samiscool51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i'm at a loss, i have no idea how to make a premade version, if anyone wants to try it themselves, go right head, i'm done. this has worn me out and i no longer want to work on this
bye

Reply 168 of 292, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The pi munt has a graphical interface like the Qsnyth?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 169 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can (mt32emu-qt) either through one of the video interfaces or by exporting a display with X11, VNC, NX, etc.

Reply 170 of 292, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's this usable for RPi 3B+ as well?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 171 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote:

It's this usable for RPi 3B+ as well?

I haven't tested it, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Reply 172 of 292, by heffe2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried several times to get this set up and working with my Atari STE, but can't seem to get it to respond when it's plugged into the ST with a Roland UM-ONE USB cable. I can play stuff on it locally (aplaymidi), and I can use it to output to my SC-50 via the UM-One, but just can not get it to respond to the ST at all. I've tried connecting the ports via aconnect at the console, but as far as the ST is concerned, there's no MT32 there. I actually just bought a real MT-32, but still want to get this running for portability. (And also get fluidsynth set up so I can change soundfonts and such, but that's another matter).

I'm running it on a Pi 3B, and have a Roland UM-One connected.

Reply 173 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first step is to connect your input device to the synth. You can use aconnect or one of the GUI tools (like Patchage) for this.

Reply 174 of 292, by heffe2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've connected the UM-One (20:0) to the MT-32 (128:0) along with different combinations of the Thru (14:0) (with it and without), with the same results. The current configuration on my Pi via aconnect is:

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
0 'Timer '
1 'Announce '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
0 'Midi Through Port-0'
Connecting To: 128:0
Connected From: 20:0
client 20: 'UM-ONE' [type=kernel]
0 'UM-ONE MIDI 1 '
Connecting To: 14:0, 128:0
client 128: 'MT-32' [type=user]
0 'Standard '
Connected From: 14:0, 20:0
1 'GM Emulation '

Reply 175 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks correct. Your next step is to sniff port 20 with Midisnoop, for instance.

Reply 176 of 292, by heffe2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm receiving data from 20, but when I use midisnoop, it's not showing my MUNT port as a destination. Could it be that the connection between the two isn't really established? I can play a mid file directly to the port (128:0 and 128:1) without issues and it works fine. Below is the starting snippet.

**EDIT** When I connected midisnoop, it for some reason disconnected 20:0 from 128:0. I reconnected it, and was able to get sound from SQ3. It appears that none of Kings Quest Sierra games I have are outputting midi, only standard sound (all are .st files from the TOSEC libraries, so cracked/hacked, so I'm wondering if that's the problem with those). At least I did get output from SQ3, 🤣. I'm going to create a few physical disks on my Supercard Pro and see if in the cracks they either disable, or remove something that sets sound to Midi or not (I thought I remembered them auto-detecting the MT-32, but I haven't touched an ST since the early 90's so I honestly don't remember, 🤣.

**EDIT 2** It appears most of the 'cracked' versions of those Sierra games removed the MUSIC.PRG setup programs, so that's the issue with those. In other words, it appears my problem was on the ST side, not the Pi side.

**EDIT 3** Police Quest has the music.prg, and works fine with it. Was definitely a config problem on the ST end.

2018-09-01-002336_1824x984_scrot.png?dl=1

Reply 177 of 292, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Groovy. Glad you've got it solved.

What does the ST use for native sound? I'm not too familiar with the platform.

Reply 178 of 292, by heffe2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Earlier ST's (ST, STF) used the YM2149F, so sound wasn't the greatest (here Amiga was definitely superior). The STE added 2 channel 8-bit digital sound, which was closer to what the Amigas came with (and definitely better than the original ST's if games support it). I'm running a 1040 STE, so games that support it sound pretty good. I'm just surprised they went with the older YM2149F when they made the machines originally, and not something a bit more advanced like the Amiga did.

Reply 179 of 292, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could someone please clarify what type of USB-MIDI cable and/or mod is necessery to connect a retro PC to the Pi via USB using the images in the first post?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.