VOGONS

First post, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Circa 1993 where i bought the monthly computer greek magazine named "User", there was someone who was asking what sound card should buy for his dos pc. The magazine answered and told him some differences between adlib, soundblaster and roland, the advantages and disadvantages. I remember the last sentence "if you year music from roland, you are going to throw the soundblaster to the garbage". I was only 13 then and didn't believe it a lot. Now i am 36 years. I have some retro Macintosh computers where my favourite is my macintosh performa 6116 equipped with sonnet nubus g3 card accelerator and a roland mt-32 device. Some days before i bought a retro dos computer Cyrix 120+, 32 mb ram, avance logic als 100 sound card. The reason i wanted a dos retro computer is the roland mt32 because macintosh has only few games from sierra on line that support it. For me the sound quality is incredible even today. It is a lot better than soundblaster. Always the sound and especially the music was my favourite technical element. For instance when Unreal came out, they all got crazy because of the 3dfx graphics. But when i saw the game to a friend of mine, i got more impressed with the great background music on the first stage than the 3d graphics. I vote roland for retro gaming. One huge difference is the police quest 2 comparison between adlib and roland. The game i think came out in 1989. The best computer that i had seen until then was my amstrad cpc 464 and later atari st. Imagine the roland sound from this game in 1989. You can see the video comparison at youtube. Long live roland MT32!!!

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 1 of 1, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The music is always what grabbed me as well. I remember noticing the MT-32 option in the Sierra setup utilities and dreamed of owning one. I didn't know what it sounded like but I knew it sounded amazing. Finally, my parents got me one off eBay years later. I still have it! Also, Unreal's music is fantastmagorical. Some of the best video game music I've ever heard comes from Unreal and UT99. Easily makes my top 5 game soundtracks of all time list.

As for my preference, the MT-32 wins out, obviously. Especially for games that really took advantage of it (like early Sierra adventures). But Adlib will always hold a special place in my heart. I remember when we got our first sound card. My dad bought a Voyetra multimedia package that came with a sound card and a double speed(!) CD-ROM that connected to the sound card (wasn't IDE) and required special drivers. But the Voyetra card didn't have 100% authentic Adlib sound and so some of the generally more impressive OPL samples (like the trumpet) didn't sound very good at all. I used to dream of owning an authentic Sound Blaster 16 or even an Adlib Gold. Finally we got a Sound Blaster PCI128 (which was actually an Ensoniq card. I literally took the PCI128 sticker off the chip on the card to reveal the Ensoniq logo). It had Sound Blaster 16 emulation for DOS and it was nice to hear the authenticity at last. Nowadays I have two AWE32 cards in my old computer systems, and MT-32, and a CM-500 for all my retro gaming audio needs. Only thing I'm missing is a Gravis Ultrasound, which I've never gotten to actually hear what the sound is like but I have heard it's spectacular.

TL;DR - I love game music. I love the MT-32. I love OPL for nostalgic reasons. I love my CM-500.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.