VOGONS

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've got the MUNT QT driver installed (1.5.0 with GUI) and it won't appear to my MIDI sequencer software. It works with Winamp and other applications that playback MIDI where you can choose a MIDI device, but not for Cakewalk Sonar. It used to show up as a MIDI Output device and I could use it as a virtual synth, but it no longer appears. Any idea what's happening?

EDIT: Corrected information

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would there be some kind of MIDI loopback driver I could use to force this? Sonar does see the Microsoft Wavetable GS driver.

My Github

Reply 3 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes. Everything sees it but my DAW. I guess the changing point might have been when I upgraded to Win10. Still, why only Sonar and not anything else?

My Github

Reply 4 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I looked up some loopback drivers and found one that works called LoopB1. Solved the problem for the time being. Still a bit of a nuisance and a puzzle why it won't show up on its own like it used to. I'm not sure what the latency is like either as I could only test on my PC remotely from work (the sound of which is delayed anyway). But it's better than nothing.

My Github

Reply 5 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would suggest LoopMIDI instead.

Although I can't think of a reason why the Munt driver wouldn't appear in Sonar, except maybe if you have too many synths in your MIDI list.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 6 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's never been a problem before. I've also had an OPL MIDI synth driver that showed up along with MUNT, my two wavetable synths, Microsoft GS, and two external MIDI outputs. Incidentally, the OPL3 one doesn't show up either now for some reason. Both since updating to Win10. And, of course, it detected LoopB1 just fine.

Any particular reason to use LoopMIDI over LoopB1?

My Github

Reply 7 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used LoopBe1 a few years ago, but had constant issues with sysex transmissions. I switched to LoopMIDI which has several advantages, like hotplug MIDI port creation and AppleMIDI support.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 8 of 11, by nukeykt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is your MIDI sequencer x64 application? x64 apps can't use 32bit user mode MIDI drivers(like MUNT, OPL3). LoopMIDI is kernel mode driver, so it works with both 64 and 32 bit apps. You either should switch to 32 bit version of your app or build x64 version of MUNT.

Reply 9 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's it. That makes perfect sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you! Strange that the loopback driver does work, though.

My Github

Reply 11 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you're dealing with massive sound libraries, quality VSTs, and dozens of recorded audio tracks with layered real-time effects, yes there's a benefit. I dare not run 32-bit anymore. Need the memory.

My Github