VOGONS

First post, by motley6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of the 500 or so games that have Roland MT-32 music, it seems like most of the ones talked about use special effects of the LA synthesizer. And most games supposedly sound awful when played back in "MT-32 mode", like on a Roland Sound Canvas or similar GM/GS device that advertises that capability, unless they only use the basic samples.

I've got an AWE64 Value and would prefer to use its MT-32 emulation/soundfont rather than Adlib music on older titles if available. Through searching the vogons site and youtube, the following games seem to use only default MT-32 instruments

Loom (Disk ver. w/ MT-32 driver)
Secret of Monkey Island (Disk ver. w/ MT-32 Driver)
King's Quest IV
Budokan
Ultima VI
Bad Blood
Simon the Sorcerer

Is this list correct and are there any others that will sound good on a General MIDI device with MT-32 "support?"

Reply 4 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can run Munt on another computer, like a laptop and connect them. Basically building a MIDI box 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote:

Leisure Suit Larry 2 and Legend of Kyrandia 1 also, although the latter has some custom SFX that won't play correctly without a LA device.

Actually, Larry 2 uses custom instruments, its Police Quest II that uses the default instruments.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 15, by motley6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:
Spikey wrote:

Leisure Suit Larry 2 and Legend of Kyrandia 1 also, although the latter has some custom SFX that won't play correctly without a LA device.

Actually, Larry 2 uses custom instruments, its Police Quest II that uses the default instruments.

Playing on a device with MT-32/CM-64 "compatibility mode", How do you determine if it's custom sounds and default sounds, exactly? Will it immediately sound out of tune if there are custom instruments, or are they just wrong or missing during playback? For the more popular games, I can obviously compare it to the numerous recordings, but I'm interested in testing (and playing) some games that haven't been covered to death.

I realize the premise of my thread is sort of obscure, but it may be of some use to people who are slumming with no MT-32

Reply 7 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Legend Entertainment games use the default instruments to great effect.

The thing is, the MT-32 is not exactly a ROMpler and no soundfont or sysex remapping will correctly "emulate" the synth's instruments (be they default or custom). You can certainly try and make a list of MT-32 games that sound the least horrible on an "MT-32 compatible" device out of academic interest, but that would never make it a viable alternative to the real thing.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 8 of 15, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing on a device with MT-32/CM-64 "compatibility mode", How do you determine if it's custom sounds and default sounds, exactly? Will it immediately sound out of tune if there are custom instruments, or are they just wrong or missing during playback? For the more popular games, I can obviously compare it to the numerous recordings, but I'm interested in testing (and playing) some games that haven't been covered to death.

I realize the premise of my thread is sort of obscure, but it may be of some use to people who are slumming with no MT-32

The thing to understand is the power of the MT-32 was in its' custom patch ability (new instruments made by the composer being written to the MT-32 during game startup), so 95% of MT-32 soundtracks are going to utilise that capability, and the soundtracks will feature these custom instruments. Therefore, "MT-32 compatibility" outside of MUNT does not exist. You can't remap a soft or hard synth to map to a unique instrument, after all! (Well, you could rewrite each game's soundtrack, and figure out how to put that in the game, and create new drivers, but that is probably not what you're looking to do. 😉 )

Reply 10 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NewRisingSun wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

Actually, Larry 2 uses custom instruments, its Police Quest II that uses the default instruments

No, the opposite is true.

Silly me, just wait until I start to go senile 😊

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 12 of 15, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote:

In addition to SFX, Legend of Kyrandia 1 actually uses at least one custom instrument, one that replaces the "soundtrack" instrument.

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 13 of 15, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The question is imprecise. A game can use only default timbres but use System Exclusive Messages to rearrange their order. In fact, that's what quite a number of Sierra games do. And those will sound wrong as well on devices that do not process MT-32 System Exclusive Messages.

Reply 14 of 15, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Laukku wrote:
Spikey wrote:

In addition to SFX, Legend of Kyrandia 1 actually uses at least one custom instrument, one that replaces the "soundtrack" instrument.

You got me on a technicality, but it hardly is enough to call it a custom bank game. What patch is it? I forget these days.

Which is more common, custom or default? I was looking for a list on the former myself. Trying to put together a list of impressive MT-32 OSTs.

I haven't played enough non-Sierra games to know, but I would imagine very few games use default instruments, and as NRS pointed out, games can use only default instruments but in non-standard patch order (a custom bank that comprises of default instruments).

Given that most of the MT-32's default instruments are 'real' instruments, and it's a 30 year old synth, I don't think those are the best sounding patches for the module by any stretch, although several have aged well considering. In my book synth soundscapes are the coolest MT-32 sound possible, although it does fast paced and punchy music well because of the good drumkits and decent bass sounds (see: Police Quest 1, Castle of Dr. Brain for both synth and drums).

Reply 15 of 15, by ommadawnyawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting, thanks. I finished up that list a while back, though it's open to new suggestions. Would've liked to find something dance-oriented with a deep and punchy kick drum on MT-32.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/mt-32-music.html