VOGONS

Reply 34 of 34, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
guncrazy wrote:

I have an MT-32 hooked up to my PC so I don't need MUNT. However when I capture video only the soundblaster audio is recorded the MT-32 is not. How do I fix this problem? I am currently using Taewoong's patched dosbox. Below are my config settings:

As someone who is perfectly happy with the MT32 emulator itself, let me tell you that the amount of effort for syncing things is a pain in butt. If you want to use a real MT-32, you are going to induce latency.

The internal DOSBOX capture can not capture a sound that is not generated by the emulated machine, so a real MT-32, or your voice-over will NEVER be recorded. You must use the MT-32 emulator if you want to record mt-32 sound in sync with the internal video capture. The same goes for any other soft-synths that are not compiled into dosbox.

For all practical purposes there is a "correct" solution. You need two computers. One computer is your play machine, the other is your mixing/capture machine. The mixing/capture machine should have a sound card with multiple line-in's and one S/PDIF input or if you have the right capture card (SA7160) that can capture HDMI, you can route the digital audio over the HDMI, thus you have a digital lossless "sync" for your capture, and you can plug in the MT-32 into the analog input, set the mixing levels and capture in real-time on the capture machine. Also as a word of caution, I don't recommend analog capture (eg mini-jack to mini-jack), if you were to say, capture from an actual 486, you'd want a SB AWE32 and use it's S/PDIF output and capture the analog VGA. The minijack cables will pick up EM noise. Likewise the MT-32 should be using shielded cables.

Of course that's the expensive way.

The cheaper way (eg one computer) is to simply plug the line-out of the MT32 into your PC, set your recording software to "What-U-Hear" as the input source, and make sure you have line-in set to "monitor" , the drawback to this is that if you have sounds setup for your OS, all those will be recorded to. So you'll have to either mute all the other programs sounds, or mute them from the mixer. Make sure to logout of everything before you capture to avoid instant messaging dings.

The catch, is again latency. If you make the game slow enough, it shouldn't desync, and you can use stuff like OBS just fine. If the game is too fast, what will happen is that the game will push out all the MT-32 data at the beginning (eg Sierra titles) and you can only use the game's save-game process, exiting and restarting the game to re-initialize the hardware MT-32. If you use savestates, it will not restore the state of the MT-32.