New MT-32 User.. Help Required

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And you are in real MS-DOS?

Maybe get a second hard-drive and install pure DOS to rule out any other issues.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvilCensor wrote:

Booting from a freshly unwrapped pack of DOS 6.22 floppies - yes 😀

Nice.

Odd that you're having issues with Monkey Island.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 23 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EvilCensor wrote:

No luck with any Sierra titles at the moment though (same as old card) - will try SoftMPU.

Did you set Roland for your sound in the resource.cfg?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 24 of 29, by EvilCensor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, for example Space Quest 3:

soundDrv=MT32.DRV

All I get is a large mouse pointer, nothing happens after a long wait.

Police Quest 1 VGA the game loads, MT32 activity and an error message on the MT-32 "Exc. Checksum error". Music plays but nothing like it should be.

EDIT: Disabling L1 and L2 cache helps with corrupt sound on Quest for Glory 1 VGA.. had exact issues with Police Quest 1 VGA.

EDIT: Cache suggesting fixed PQ1 VGA also.

Reply 25 of 29, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early Sierra SCI titles were very picky on fast CPU's (the sound driver would lock up).
Download a patch called Gosierra3, copy and run it in the game directory. It will patch some of the sound drivers (it might help).

You can also use Setmul to disable cache, if I'm not mistaken (saves you the trouble of going into the Bios everytime).

Reply 27 of 29, by EvilCensor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, things seem to be working with this card.. Ultima 7 issue was just EMM386 running (silly of me). Got Space Quest 3 running with SoftMPU. Colonels Bequest doesn't have an MT32.DRV file included.. tried copying over a KQ4 MT32.DRV but that didn't work.

SQ3 MT32.DRV works with Colonels Bequest 😁

Thanks for the pointers, I may even get to play something soon 😀

Reply 28 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TCB most certainly does ship with a Roland driver. It has to be on your original floppies.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 29 of 29, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvilCensor wrote:
Well after all these years I got hold of a MT-32 […]
Show full quote

Well after all these years I got hold of a MT-32

verx.xx 30 Sep, 88

followed by:

Mark Tsuruta Special

Has this MT-32 been modified, if so.. can it be reverted to something that I can use to play Sierra titles and perhaps a bit of Ultima VII?

you have the 'blue ridge' roms which require a battery to work correctly. They 'saved' the systems sram contents between powerdowns. You should open it up and check it. The schematic for the mod is quite simple, but imo not worth doing on an mt32. and take some pics when you open it up.

I believe the blue ridge roms are modifed v1.07 roms.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--