VOGONS

First post, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I have a dos/win95 computer (Cyrix 120+, 32mb ram, sound blaster 16 CT2980 PNP) and i am trying to connect my roland mt32 to the sound blaster. What i have to do? I have obtained this cable (http://www.musicianswebstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TW12MC1) and i have also this (http://www.proaudiosuppliers.com/hosa-cmp-159.html). I have connected the one edge of the midi cable to the joystick port of the sound blaster and the other side to the "in" port of the roland. Regarding the Hosa CMP cable i have connected the two big edges to the L and R ports of the roland mt32 and the small edge to the line in of the sound card. I tried also the other sound blaster ports. Nothing happens. No sound, no midi message. The games like Monkey Island, Police Quest 3 etc show that my machine supports roland mt32 but nothing. What do i have to do? I had the roland mt32 installed for years to my macintosh performa 6116 via macman midi interface, midi cable and the hosa cable and it was working perfectly.

Thank You
Dimitris from Greece

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No midi message would seem to suggest its not receiving any data at all rather then no sound. You may be able to test depending on your model. (Instructions below) Leave it all plugged into the PC just to confirm speakers are working fine.

I had same problem and was just the midi cable. As far as configuring games it really should be as simple as specifying MT 32,External MIDI device or whatever that game wants to call the option and maybe the ports address.

ROM PLAY

The MT-32 stores five songs for demonstrating the excellent
quality of "LA" sound source and the effect of the MultiTimbral
function. Playing those pre-programmed songs is called "ROM
Play" in this manual.

PROCEDURE

(1) While holding the Master Volume button (1), switch on the
unit, then select a song (1-5) using the Part button (2) num-
bered 1 to 5.

(2) Press the Volume button (3} to play the selected song. (See the
picture below.)

• To stop playing, press the Sound Group button (4).

• To play 1 to 5 songs repeatedly, press the Sound button (5),

then the Volume button (3).

Reply 2 of 3, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe that some times the problems are simple. I was trying to connect the roland to my macintosh performa 6116 and i couldn't find what to do. All the connections were right but nothing. Finally i found that it was the cable for the L and R ports because the two big connectors were 3,5mm and i had to use adaptors without results of course. So i bought the HOSA CMP cable and the roland worked.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 3 of 3, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Until now i haven't managed to make the roland mt32 work. I did the above test without success. I am thinking of buying roland mpu 401 midi interface. I saw also that there is a Midiman Portman PC/P Parallel Midi interface. I have the same for Macintosh (Macman midi interface) and it works perfectly on my performa macintosh 6116.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF