VOGONS

First post, by GeoffB17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this isn't the right place..

I've got a LAPC-I card, which I do play with from time to time.

I'd dearly like to find a list of the 128 PCM ROM samples, that can be used when creating new sounds. I've got the Dr T editor, plus piles of other stuff, but this is one thing I've never been able to find.

Is there such a list anywhere? How are you supposed to use the samples if you don't know what they are?

Geoff

Reply 2 of 12, by GeoffB17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK - sorry to have troubled you.

Anyway, found it. Did hex dump of the Dr.T editor prog, and looks like there's the list in there. Although a lot of them just say 'LOOPxx', which isn't very helpful? Still, I can at least make something of that info.

Geoff

Reply 3 of 12, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just as a heads up - this is the correct sub-forum "MT-32 General", but the wrong thread. Even though you have already found the answer yourself, it would be nice for others to know. Please make a new thread on this sub forum describing what you have found, so the rest of use can make use of it. 😄

Reply 4 of 12, by GeoffB17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I guessed that.

I tried to make a new thread. I looked for an icon for 'New Thread' or something like. Couldn't find one. Ended up doing the message as seen.

Some time later, I found the icon I was looking for, just that it seems to be labelled in Vogon or something. Hm, next time, I'll do it right.

I need to write a little prog to extract the 'names' from the block of the MT32.EXE (128 labels, I assume, not counted them) each null terminated, and write them to a .TXT file. If it would be useful, I'll gladly upload the resultant file. Then, I need to try to work out what all the LOOPxx items are, maybe finding the patches that use them (via Dr.T) might be a hint. LOOPxx isn't very helpful, especially when there's 40 or 50 of them!

Geoff

Reply 6 of 12, by GeoffB17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, the wonders of Admin privileges?

Well, I've done my little prog. Result hopefully attached.

I have two versions of the Dr.T MT-32 editor. Obtained LONG ago, downloaded from ? I don't know what the current status of the software is.

The earlier version is a DOS/text system, the exe is 85,105 bytes. This version does NOT include the PCM descriptions. Also, although it works generally, it does NOT appear to interface with my LAPC-I card, so it will not load or save data, and it will not play (audition) the sounds. It will work fine with data from files, of which I have loads.

The second version is a DOS GUI/mouse system, and is I assume a later version, but I cannot see a version number. This exe is 227,043. This is the version with the PCM descriptions included. This version does seem to interface with my card, at least the 'audition' facility DOES play sounds. If anyone is interested, there is a .HLP file (text) included with this which has a lot of info about various of the parameters making up each sound.

The files I have show dates, but I'm sure these dates are not reliable, and are more to do with when files have been copied/un-zipped/etc. The latter version has a date in the install text of 9/6/88.

The reference to the three 'groups' of the samples was noted from another source. It seems to be relevant.

Geoff

Attachments

• Filename
    mt32_pcm.zip
    File size
    1.3 KiB
    Downloads
    154 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 12, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*cough* lacp1 owners manual *cough*.

no really, the manual has all the samples listed.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote:

No, it doesn't. It has what amounts to a patch/timbre listing - not the same thing.

Reply 11 of 12, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

No, it doesn't. It has what amounts to a patch/timbre listing - not the same thing.

mmm in the OP, Geoff asked for the listing onf the 128 rom samples.. the manual lists... *gasp* 128 rom samples! from #1 being acoustic piano through to #128 being Jungle Tune..

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 12 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote:

mmm in the OP, Geoff asked for the listing onf the 128 rom samples.. the manual lists... *gasp* 128 rom samples! from #1 being acoustic piano through to #128 being Jungle Tune..

You've misunderstood both what the OP had asked for, and the meaning of "PCM ROM samples," as applies to the MT-32/CM-variant architecture.

I would encourage you to take a look at the "Waveforms" sheet in the the workbook I'd created and linked to. This is the information that the OP had requested, and is not found in the manual.

Again, what is provided in the manual is not a listing of the PCM ROM samples/waveforms. It's a list of the default 128 patches, comprised of the timbres in groups A and B.