VOGONS

Reply 40 of 54, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'd suggest either to move to the dev forum or to submit a bug as soon as you're sure that DOSBox freezes when it transfers the focus to exactly mt32emu-qt and not any other app (also would be great to check other DOSBox builds).

Reply 41 of 54, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sergm wrote:

Yes, I'd suggest either to move to the dev forum or to submit a bug as soon as you're sure that DOSBox freezes when it transfers the focus to exactly mt32emu-qt and not any other app (also would be great to check other DOSBox builds).

Roger that. Preliminary tests seem to indicate that it only happens when mt32emu-qt receives focus, but I will test further and post in appropriate channels. Thanks for all of your help thus far.

Reply 42 of 54, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played with this thing again. It appears, that the noise is almost inaudible when mt32.analog is set to 0 or 1. Setting mt32.analog to 3 does reduce the noise but not in full.

Also, I added the implementation of the internal resampler from mt32emu-qt (just out of curiosity) and found that even in the FASTEST mode (which also relies on the linear interpolation) the whistle sounds quite good.

Reply 43 of 54, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi sergm and Yesterplay80 -

I've downloaded and tested the most recent version of DOSBox ECE build r4019 and I've noticed that the aliasing distortion still exists when mixer sample rate is set to 44100. Is there any chance that this will be corrected in future versions of ECE or the integrated MUNT patch?

Reply 44 of 54, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope this is no longer an issue with the current version of mt32emu-DOSBox patch (since this commit). When using default settings, the option "mt32.rate" is set to 44100 that matches the DOSBox's internal mixer rate, so it does not degrade the output quality. However, in case "mt32.rate" differs from the mixer's rate, the output quality might suffer, just as before. See if the samplerates differ in your DOSBox configuration and which "mt32.src.quality" is set.

Reply 45 of 54, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

I hope this is no longer an issue with the current version of mt32emu-DOSBox patch (since this commit).

Oooooops... Since I couldn't find the paramteres you mentioned in my dosbox configuration I had a quick look at the patch file I used to compile it. Even though I already downloaded the new one for r4000, I somehow forgot to atually use it for my build and still applied the older patch. My bad, sorry!

I recompiled the binaries again (Linux ones compiling as I type) and this time made sure the correct patch is used. Please download it again and try again!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 47 of 54, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lukeman3000 wrote:

Yesterplay, for those of us with Sound Canvas VA (or another VST midi synth), is there any possibility of incorporating some kind of support directly into DOSBox ECE?

If there are prebuilt working patches, then yes, otherwise not. I'm no developer myself.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 48 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
lukeman3000 wrote:

Yesterplay, for those of us with Sound Canvas VA (or another VST midi synth), is there any possibility of incorporating some kind of support directly into DOSBox ECE?

What kind of support would you even want?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 49 of 54, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:
lukeman3000 wrote:

What kind of support would you even want?

Bearing in mind that I probably don't understand 80% of what I'm talking about,

I would really like fully integrated VST support similar to how Munt is currently implemented. Such that it requires no additional programs to be installed (only the .rom files).

It would be cool if you could point DOSBox ECE's config file to the Sound Canvas VA folder (with requisite DLL file(s)) and then the synthesisizer would launch concurrently with the chosen game, either minimized to system tray or in the background. When the game is closed, the synthesizer closes as well.

Maybe it seems pointless; I just like the idea of it being integrated into DOSBox ECE like Munt is. Munt integration means that my D-Fend Reloded folder and DOS game collection is very portable. It's a little less so for the games that require installation of loopmidi and a VST host like SAVIHost or FSMP for usage of Sound Canvas VA.

Reply 50 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But the Sound Canvas VA is not an open source program or am I missing something? So no chance for this.
I already wrote you that for starting another program with Dosbox and end it with Dosbox you have to use another program that does all that.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 51 of 54, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

But the Sound Canvas VA is not an open source program or am I missing something? So no chance for this.
I already wrote you that for starting another program with Dosbox and end it with Dosbox you have to use another program that does all that.

Yes, I saw that. And I've already written a batch file that does most of what I want so far. I didn't know it was an issue of Sound Canvas VA being open source or not. I just thought it was an issue of ECE currently lacking that support.

Again, I don't understand most of what I'm talking about so please assume ignorance on my part. But, how do you explain things like Falcosoft Midi Player and SAVIHost which can load the Sound Canvas VA dll? Is that illegal? I thought that if the SCVA files were obtained legally then it's all good; I was looking for something similar but integrated directly into DOSBox ECE for less intervention on the user's part.

I think the main issue is that I don't know how to properly express what it is I want. Essentially, I want the function of FSMP or SAVIHost but integrated directly into DOSBox ECE so that a game can be launched, and SC-55 midi will automatically work without any additional steps. When the game is closed, the synthesizer automatically stops as well. Identical to the current Munt integration and behavior in ECE.

Reply 52 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Munt is an open source mt32 emulator that can be standalone or integrated into other software, so allthatemulation is still munt. All those that are somehow using the sound canvas stuff are nit integrateable.

Reply 53 of 54, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
lukeman3000 wrote:

If there are prebuilt working patches, then yes, otherwise not. I'm no developer myself.

I noticed that the two new parameters

mt32.rate
mt32.src.quality

don't seem to be present in the dosbox.conf file that is generated by the most current ECE build. Though they do seem to exist, as they both return their default values in dosbox:
H703c5j.png
XSf1MIZ.png

Maybe these parameters aren't supposed to be editable? I have no clue. Just thought I'd point it out in case it was overlooked.

Reply 54 of 54, by asw3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I also have a question about MT-32 emulation with DOSBox ECE, so I decided instead of opening a new thread to use this one, hope its OK.

My problem is that I can't seem to set up MT-32 emu to work, it doesn't show up under mixer /listmidi.

I think it might be connected with the setting up of the ROM directory (the files are properly named).

My config parameter looks like:
mt32.romdir=D:\Games\Emulation\DOSBox Game Launcher\DOSBox ECE r4063\MT-32 ROM Directory

but it doesn't seem to actually read the ROMs.

What am i missing? I tried putting them in a different directory where the path wont have spaces in it, but that didn't do anything. Is there something else that should be done before it shows up in \listmidi?