VOGONS

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been using a Roland MT-32 for some time with my 486 33 MHz and a Music Quest clone Midi card I bought from Amibay, and it's been working flawlessly both in old Sierra games (like SQ3), and newer LucasArts games like TIE Fighter.

Today I was mucking around a bit with my stuff and had the 486 disassembled for a bit. When I put it back together I've suddenly started getting "Exc. Checksum Error" from my MT-32. 😵

However, I only get it from the two LucasArts games (TIE Fighter and Sam&Max). When I run the SetMuse setup utility and test play the music it sounds all garbled. The Sierra games, and Cruise for a Corpse, still works perfectly fine.

So... Anyone got any idea why those two games would cause checksum errors, while others work fine? I guess SetMuse runs in protected mode. Does this matter? 😠

Reply 1 of 5, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I should probably just ask for thread deletion...

Turns out the problem seems to be that my AWE64 had reset it's PnP settings and had reallocated the MPU port back to 330 from the 300 where I want it. It probably conflicted with the Roland, since that uses port 330. 😵

Not sure why it only borked with some games, but whatever. 😒

Reply 2 of 5, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's actually a useful topic, since you provided a diagnosis of your issue.

Usually in such a case, people ask a question and answer a few minutes later with: "Forget it, I fixed my problem. Tata!"

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 4 of 5, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LucasArts' iMuse MPU-401 code, used in the General MIDI and Roland MT-32 drivers, only works reliably with MPU-401 interfaces that have their own MIDI output buffer. The Sound Blasters only latch a single MIDI byte.