VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, first off I really enjoyed reading this thread and wish to thank gdjacobs for all the effort spending on this project (the others also)!
- I'm an owner of an orignal MT-32 and a CM-64 also, but thinkering with the Raspberry Pi is so much fun! 😀

Unfortunatelly, I'm still a newbie when it comes to this little device. While I do have some experience with Arduino's
and Linux in general, I have trouble to find my way through all the ins and outs of that matter.
That's probably also the reason why I do have problems now..

I downloaded the RPi2 image from here and wrote it onto my 16GiB SDHC card (SanDisk Ultra) using Win32DiskImager.
So far so good. When I powered on the Pi, everything happened like usual. The rainbow-coloured screen lighted up and the Pi booted from the card.
.. 'til it stopped with a kernal panic.

What did I do wrong ? Can anyone help or give me a hint, please ?
I know this is no support forum, and the project is still in development, but I have no idea where else to ask..

I'm using a stock Raspberry Pi 2 with composite monitor, a simple USB-MIDI cable and mouse/keyboard.
I also tried booting w/ an USB audio adapter from Thrust.
Booting Raspbian also worked like a charm (using an 8GiB card), so I think the Pi is fine.

If someone can give me a hint, please respond. I'm thankful for any idea!

(PS: I hope it is okay to post in this category. I didn't like to pollute the original thread, but also wasn't sure where else to ask for help.)

Attachments

• rp2_krnlpanic.gif
    Filename
    rp2_krnlpanic.gif
    File size
    293.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • rpi2.gif
    Filename
    rpi2.gif
    File size
    75.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The image uses the stock kernel and modules, but I believe I've made some changes in the config.txt and cmdline.txt files. You can mount the Raspbian SD card on another machine, copy the files, then mount the MUNT equipped SD card and copy the files to it. That will restore the sequence to stock.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow! Thanks a lot for the quick reply! 😁
I tried using both config.txt and cmdline.txt from my working Raspbian installation,
but it didn't changed the situation. After that, I copied the whole boot folder from the Raspbian card..
With the very same result again. I wonder if my problem might be caused by a broken download (though 7zip says verify was ok) or the 16GiB card..
I once had an issue with an incompatible card by the time I was using RISC OS.:
Two out of three cards weren't booting RISC OS at all after writing the image file to the card.
I really wished I could attach a bootlog file for you, but I guess this requires a Linux machine to modify the Raspbian/Debian installation.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like it got messed up somewhere along the line. If you want to dig deeper, you can mount the partitions from the working Raspbian install using a USB card reader. You can also access and save boot messages via a serial terminal.

If you just want Munt working, though, you've got a working Raspbian build, so it's pretty straightforward to install Munt using the instructions.

Reply 4 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, that's a good advice! 😀 I havent't thought about using the Pi for that purpose.
I believe I've got an external USB 3.0 reader somehwere in my cave errmm. I mean home.. 😅
I'll also buy another 8GiB card, just to make sure (is there any specific model/type I should keep looking for ?)
And if all fails, I'll try to use a serial terminal cnnection or Raspbian. Anyway, I'll report back when I'm ready! ^^

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update: Found my reader! 😁 I'm going to buy a few SDHC cards now - an eBay auction ends soon, but I'll also look in different places.
Hopefully, one of them suits the image (and the Pi). According to that list, compatibility isn't only related to the Pi itself, but also the distributions in particular..

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, so my first card arrived a short while ago. It's a branded article (Kingston).
My kernel panic problem still persists, though. I'm still having the same issue with the new card..
So perhaps it is not related to the cards and I should look for another cause (?).
But before I do, I think it is best to wait for the other card, as well and give it another try.
Anyway, I just wanted to keep you informed. :)

Attachments

• krnlpnc1.gif
    Filename
    krnlpnc1.gif
    File size
    217.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sdhc1.JPG
    Filename
    sdhc1.JPG
    File size
    728.62 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again, just found out there are two revisions of the RPi2: Pi2 Model B v1.1 and new v1.2 😳
Which one do you use ?

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

Hi again, just found out there are two revisions of the RPi2: Pi2 Model B v1.1 and new v1.2 😳
Which one do you use ?

Not sure, I'll have to look.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

Which one do you use ?

Not sure, I'll have to look.

Thanks, I think I've found out the culprit. The PCB reads Raspberry Pi B+ v1.2. Seems like I got the B+ instead of Pi 2..
Visually they are quite similar and since I have never taken the case apart, I didn't notice (got it as complete "Pi 2" set).
Oh, well.. But so is life. *sigh* Anyway, thank you very much for your help and patience!
If this was eBay, I would have given you a 5 stars rating for that.

How to tell if you have a Pi 2

"Since the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B looks a lot like the Raspberry Pi Model B+
you'll want to get good at identifying which you have."

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-ra … odel-b?view=all

pib+.jpg
Filename
pib+.jpg
File size
559.54 KiB
Views
File comment
"Pi 2014"
File license

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Thanks, I think I've found out the culprit. The PCB reads Raspberry Pi B+ v1.2. Seems like I got the B+ instead of Pi 2.. Visual […]
Show full quote

Thanks, I think I've found out the culprit. The PCB reads Raspberry Pi B+ v1.2. Seems like I got the B+ instead of Pi 2..
Visually they are quite similar and since I have never taken the case apart, I didn't notice (got it as complete "Pi 2" set).
Oh, well.. But so is life. *sigh* Anyway, thank you very much for your help and patience!
If this was eBay, I would have given you a 5 stars rating for that.

Damn rude of the original seller. The B+ is a useful board, but you need way more horsepower for Munt to work properly!