VOGONS

Roland CM-500 = MT-32 + SC55?

Topic actions

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found one CM500 and wish to grab it. If what I asked is true, I think this little box is the ultimate solution for all dos games with midi BGMs, but it's quite expensive as everyone knows.

So I wanna make sure on this point, in order to help me make my final decision on this second hand plain little box. 😕

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's CM-64 + CM-300 (CM-64 is CM-32L + CM-32P)
you can read more here: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.de/2013/06/fi … gs-devices.html

it's a good all-in-one module IMHO, has some qwirks like the CM-64 but nothing that can't be solved with some SysEx messages

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 42, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to recall that the vibrato of the CM-64 part (and by extension the CM-32L) of the CM-500 is slightly different to that of a real CM-64.

I think that Phil did a review of this module and the other modules on his website a while ago (it's called the "Ultimate Roland Tutorial").

But aside from that one difference, it does offer a very nice "two in one" solution.

Reply 3 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The vibrato is off (too fast), you can tell in the Monkey Island 2 tune.

It's a dual PCB module, so it's somewhat noisier.

But I think that's it in terms of differences.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 42, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: Got that CM-500, costing me 140 dollars.... God damn expensive. I can get an SC-88 pro and a MU-100 here with that price!!!

But still a little bit cheaper than buying CM64/CM32L/MT32 + CM300/SC-55 separately...

I'm not quite familiar with those 386-era dos games. So I think this little box will be my ultra solution if I build up my pentium gaming rig for dos.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 5 of 42, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this is actually a decent price for the unit, considering that I've seen it go for over 200$. Would love to get one at some point, looks like a lovely unit, but people wanting separate devices is just as acceptable, I can totally understand that (plus it does have some quirks as pointed out).

Reply 6 of 42, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You definitely got a good price. CM-500's are somewhat rare and typically go for a lot more in my experience. I paid about double for mine.

As others have mentioned, it does have somewhat faster vibrato which can make things sound a bit different than an MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64. Although it's one of those things that if you're not specifically listening for it, you may not even notice.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 42, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

it's CM-64 + CM-300 (CM-64 is CM-32L + CM-32P)

My understanding is the CM-32P portion is emulated on the CM-500. Although it's a bit irrelevant for gaming, I suppose, as CM-32P is not used for games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 42, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would agree that it's not very relevant for PC games, but wasn't the CM-32P supported by some titles in the Japanese market either on the NEC or Sharp platforms?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 42, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't remember for sure, but I think someone told me the CM-32P (and U110) uses a lot of similar waveforms to the SC-55, so it's sort of a "pre-SC-55" sound. Both are PCM based.

Reply 11 of 42, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CM-32P ( or CM-64), is a very important option on the Sharp X-68000 series of computers. About 1/3 of the games make use of it and being able to change instruments on the fly really makes a game feel just right. I mean going from generic synth guitar on the CM-32 to a sampled electric guitar via the CM-32P makes the atmosphere so vibrant.

I use it on the X-68000 and have several U110 cards to get the sounds that are right for my gaming experience. I only wish the PC could have made use of this type of PCM based audio gear.

The OP will still want an original MT-32 for older DOS games from about 1987-1990. The CM-32 has a different instrument map and some sounds and instruments will not play on those older games. Of course if the OP doesn't really play late '80s games then the MT-32 is kinda pointless.

Reply 12 of 42, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kodai wrote:

The CM-32P ( or CM-64), is a very important option on the Sharp X-68000 series of computers. About 1/3 of the games make use of it and being able to change instruments on the fly really makes a game feel just right. I mean going from generic synth guitar on the CM-32 to a sampled electric guitar via the CM-32P makes the atmosphere so vibrant.

I use it on the X-68000 and have several U110 cards to get the sounds that are right for my gaming experience. I only wish the PC could have made use of this type of PCM based audio gear.

The OP will still want an original MT-32 for older DOS games from about 1987-1990. The CM-32 has a different instrument map and some sounds and instruments will not play on those older games. Of course if the OP doesn't really play late '80s games then the MT-32 is kinda pointless.

Thx very much, I'm still thinking of buying an MT-32 or not. It's still quite expensive, even in Japan...

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 13 of 42, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CM-32P uses samples for instruments, and sounds pretty impressive in its own right. It can also be upgraded with removable U-110 Expansion Cards and at least one X68000 game supports two of those cards as well. The CM-500 can't emulate the expansion cards.

CM-64 = CM-32L + CM-32P.
CM-500 = CM-32L + Emulated CM-32P + CM-300

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 14 of 42, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The identical samples will sound better on an actual CM-32P/CM-64 than on the SC-55/CM-500. I think it is because the CM-32P uses uncompressed samples, while the SC-55 uses compressed samples.

The CM-500 has the SC-55 sound engine, but clips far more easily than the original SC-55. Don't know whether the CM-300 has that problem as well.

Reply 15 of 42, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CM-500 actually has several more samples than the base CM-32P/CM-64.

On top of the 64 instruments provided by the SC-55 to "emulate" the CM-32P, the CM-500 fills the remaining 64 slots (which are not configurable) with a kind of "best-of" selection from the U-110 ROM cards -- probably borrowed from the SC-55 samples as well.

However, I don't think any Japanese game uses that particular CM-500 tone map. And while I know of two dozens X68000 games which support the CM-32P, "one third" of X68000 games seems to me a very optimistic figure. Kodai, do you have a list to back up that info? I'm certainly interested in learning more about it.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 16 of 42, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I may be wrong on the total amount, but I'm going by what I've learned from commercially available games. I have 87 games (ahem, mostly "backups"), and about 1/3rd of them support my 32P. Considering how many games there are for the X68000, I'm more than willing to say it could be far fewer than 1/3rd. It still makes quite a few of the games sound fantastic!

Reply 17 of 42, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

The CM-32P uses samples for instruments, and sounds pretty impressive in its own right. It can also be upgraded with removable U-110 Expansion Cards and at least one X68000 game supports two of those cards as well. The CM-500 can't emulate the expansion cards.

CM-64 = CM-32L + CM-32P.
CM-500 = CM-32L + Emulated CM-32P + CM-300

God damn it, u r the creater of that famous Nerdly Pleasures Blog.....!!!

I've read so many usefull information on that blog, helping me choose my owned collections a lot for my upcoming retro rigs.... Thanks so much do appreciate the hard work u've done!!

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 18 of 42, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I suppose it's time I finally register here.
I am the same SuperDeadite from youtube.
Living in Japan I tend to focus on Japanese games that many westerners are not familiar with.
I have done a LOT of X68000 MIDI videos on my channel.

I know this place is mostly DOS focused, but if you love MIDI modules and you don't at
least emulate the X68K you are seriously missing out.

Anyway, there are actually 2 games that use the U110 Expansion cards:
Gemini Wing: https://youtu.be/_FBR4ktmhMo
Choujin: https://youtu.be/Z4jq3ql8etY

If you want another obscure one, the FM-Towns version of Xak III supports
CM-64.

Regarding the CM-500, it was my first module ever. Found it in Hardoff for 2,000yen.
If you can get one cheap enough, it's a great starter module, but for today's prices, it's limitations
make it a hard recommendation imo.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 19 of 42, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote:

Regarding the CM-500, it was my first module ever. Found it in Hardoff for 2,000yen.
If you can get one cheap enough, it's a great starter module, but for today's prices, it's limitations
make it a hard recommendation imo.

WTF??? Which HARDOFF???? I'll be there right now if I've known it!!!

BTW, the cheapest thing I got is a CM-300, costing me 2160 yen (around 20 USD) with tax.... the thing is completely tested in a very nice condition!

The NOOB of noobs!!