VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After trying out MUNT for the first time today the first idea I had was to use it on a Raspberry Pi + USB MIDI cable to turn it into a cheap emulator.

Of course someone else beat me to it: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi

Does anyone use this? I have a spare Pi2 lying about somewhere, I'll probably buy a USB MIDI cable just to try this out!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apologies but I did not realize the two were one and the same.. If there were any links to the github in the thread I missed it. I presumed that the thread was about a custom Raspbian/Jessie installation with embedded MUNT while the project on github was its own Linux distribution that just ran headlessly as an MT-32 emulator with as fast booting and as little overhead as possible (i.e. the difference between installing KODI on Jessie vs. using OpenELEC).. Am I wrong?

Reply 3 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're not entirely the same, except in terms of both running MUNT on a Pi as a substitute for an MT-32 or CM-32L module. I also want the ability to run Fluidsynth, so I also need some sort of software PCM mixing, so I require a little more in userland.

Having said that, the thread is by no means specific to my project. Any news about MUNT on low power, low cost (especially ARM) hardware is, in my opinion, quite pertinent.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

They're not entirely the same, except in terms of both running MUNT on a Pi as a substitute for an MT-32 or CM-32L module. I also want the ability to run Fluidsynth, so I also need some sort of software PCM mixing, so I require a little more in userland.

Having said that, the thread is by no means specific to my project. Any news about MUNT on low power, low cost (especially ARM) hardware is, in my opinion, quite pertinent.

Sorry I will move this project to there then..