VOGONS

First post, by Obiwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I've got an old MT-32 that I plugged to my Roland SCC1 (IRQ 2 and MPU 330h-331h). When I start X-wing or Legend of Kyrandia (for example), the music plays through both devices (I can check that because I use an external mixer and can shut off 1 output). Then there is a hanging note (on the SCC1 channel). Besides X-wing plays some others instruments instead of the regular set. Legend of Kyrandia just crashs after introduction.

The Roland MT-32 works fine. I checked that before: it used to work fine on a Sound Blaster 16 (still in place in the very same computer). Basically I just changed the MPU interface from the Sound Blaster 16 to the Roland SCC1.

Is there someone to have a clue? 😕 thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You will have to provide a bit more information.

What are your System specifications
Type of sound card being used (model number).
How are you connecting the MT-32 to your SCC-1? Via the MIDI thru connector on the back?
Did you disable your Sound Blaster MPU-401 MIDI port or, at least change the address and IRQ of the Sound Blaster's MPU-401 interface?
Also, if you intend of playing a General MIDI game, then you must use the SCC-1 and specify General MIDI (or Roland Sound Canvas) in your game's setup menu.
If you are using an older game (from the 1987 to 1992 era), then you must select Roland MT-32 and use the MT-32 for music playback.

Reply 2 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what kind of system are you using? maybe ACPI is using IRQ2 and it causes issues

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by Obiwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your quick replies.

My configuration is:
Pentium 90, 16 Mo RAM, BIOS Award with parallel port disabled
DOS 6.2, multiple menus at start (EMS or XMS)
Graphic adaptator: Miro 12 PD 1 Mo
I installed several sound cards:
Sound Blaster 16 (CT 2230), IRQ 5, I/O 220, DMA 1, HDMA 7, MPU disabled, IDE Port Disabled, Joystick Port Enabled)
Roland SCC1, IRQ 2, MPU adress 330-331h
Roland MT-32, plugged to the SCC1 via MIDI cable (I use the mini-dyn adaptator). The cable goes from the SCC1's OUT to the MT-32's IN.

Obviously I set the games on MT-32.

Reply 4 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

check your BIOS for an ACPI setting if it can be disabled or switched to APM , ACPI is hardwired to IRQ2

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 10, by Obiwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ACPI is already disabled.
I should tell I did run any program after SCC1 installation: CHKSCC.exe tells me an other card uses the same adresse (330h-331h).

Last edited by Obiwan on 2017-12-05, 17:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SCC1 will always output sound when you send MIDI data to it's MPU401 - if you're using an MT-32 attached to it then you just have to ignore output from the SCC1 - i.e. mute it via your external mixer, unplug the cable from the RCA or headphone jacks.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 10, by Obiwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

The SCC1 will always output sound when you send MIDI data to it's MPU401 - if you're using an MT-32 attached to it then you just have to ignore output from the SCC1 - i.e. mute it via your external mixer, unplug the cable from the RCA or headphone jacks.

thanks you for your answer!

Nevertheless I need to modify my first statements: while playing X-wing: the SCC1 plays the music (with some different instruments). The MT-32 plays one hanging note (some kind of larsen).

I know some games have hardcoded settings for soundcards (factory settings). Maybe that's it! You can't choose any setting in X-wing.

Reply 9 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Obiwan wrote:

while playing X-wing: the SCC1 plays the music (with some different instruments). The MT-32 plays one hanging note (some kind of larsen).

I know some games have hardcoded settings for soundcards (factory settings). Maybe that's it! You can't choose any setting in X-wing.

What have you selected for music in the Xwing sound setup application (setmuse from memory)? General MIDI for SCC1, and I think it's just listed as 'Roland' for MT-32. Both devices will produce sound but one will sound wonky depending on your selection.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 10, by Obiwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:
Obiwan wrote:

while playing X-wing: the SCC1 plays the music (with some different instruments). The MT-32 plays one hanging note (some kind of larsen).

What have you selected for music in the Xwing sound setup application (setmuse from memory)? General MIDI for SCC1, and I think it's just listed as 'Roland' for MT-32. Both devices will produce sound but one will sound wonky depending on your selection.

I picked Roland + SoundBlaster to test the MT-32.