VOGONS

First post, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I grew up on Atari computers; the eight-bit line in particular. I drooled over the Atari ST at the store, but it was way out of my reach. When I finally moved out on my own, I rented a room in a house where the owner also rented rooms to a couple of other guys. We got along well and eventually he let me use his computer; an IBM PS/2 with a VGA monitor. His kid, who didn't live with him, loaned me Space Quest III one weekend. It was the first PC game I ever played. Even on the PC speaker, it blew my mind. Sixteen bright, vibrant colors on a VGA monitor were astounding when compared to the little color TVs I had been using with my Atari 8-Bits. I was hooked and Space Quest III did it.

Fast forward 20 years and here I am; an accomplished adult and life-long gamer. I've played through a million games and loved almost every one of them. In particular, audio has always been the primary source of immersion for me. I had seen the MT-32 option in so many games over the years, but just glossed over it; thinking it was some specialty hardware that really wouldn't make much of a difference. But recently I watched an episode of Phil's Computer Lab, and another on LGR, featuring the MT-32. I'd been looking for something to reignite the spark in me lately, and I knew I had found it.

I went straight to eBay and bought all the parts to build a 486 gaming PC and an MT-32 to boot. Tonight I hooked it all up. And I fired up Space Quest III again, for the very first time. It brought tears to my eyes. Truly the sound is among the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I know nostalgia played a big role in the depth of my appreciation for it, but that knowledge does not diminish my affectionate awe in the least. I am smitten, once again.

I hope Eye of the Beholder sounds as good. =)

Reply 1 of 2, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to the MT-32 club! (Not really a club but you get the idea..). I actually use mine on a modern PC through DOSBox and use of the Roland UMONE mkII USB to Midi adapter. The funny thing is that I had mainly soundblaster back in the day for all my games until I got a Turtle Beach Maui..hated it and then finally got an SCB-55 to slap onto my SB-16. So I never knew the actual sounds of the MT-32 and was only familiar with later general midi and sound canvas music. I have to say that I think the MT-32 is easily one of my favorite pieces of old computer gear I got hooked up and if I only had it to play these old games, I wouldn't be too upset by that at all as I really like the tones it can create.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 2, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the welcome! I am looking forward to rediscovering all of my old favorites with new sounds. My next target id a Pentium 133 and an SC55-MKII. I've got the bug, big time.