VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,
I am using the latest ykhwong's DosBox SVN build (2015!) coupled with MUNT in order to emulate MT-32 optimized games. I recently also downloaded a trial version of Roland SoundCanvas VA, in order to play General MIDI, and SC-55 optimized games.

This is how I do it:

1) Extract my favorite game to a folder (i.e. Gods - my favorite game!)
2) 7zip the ykhwong's DosBox SVN build, into that folder
3) Edit doxbox.ini file in order to set the midiconfig= to the proper port (in my case, 1 is the MT-32 Emulation port, 2 is the Roland SoundCanvas VA)
4) Play the game!

QUESTION: I wanted to know if there is a *freeware alternative* to to SoundCanvas VA for SC-55 optimized games, that you would recommend.

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 7, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But it's latest of that branch! 🤣

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 4 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Why use such an ancient, buggy version of DOSBox?

Actually that so called "buggy" version has served me really well, it has a very solid SAVE/LOAD state, and many more features!

Can you point me to a better build that also features LOAD/SAVE States?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote:
Actually that so called "buggy" version has served me really well, it has a very solid SAVE/LOAD state, and many more features! […]
Show full quote
collector wrote:

Why use such an ancient, buggy version of DOSBox?

Actually that so called "buggy" version has served me really well, it has a very solid SAVE/LOAD state, and many more features!

Can you point me to a better build that also features LOAD/SAVE States?

Thanks!

Same here. I'm also interested in a recent fork of DOSBox that is comparable in features..
Before ykhwong's builds, I was using gulikoza's, which served me well for many years (I'm with DOSBox since ~0.61).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not too many people dig into the save states patches as they're extremely invasive and require changes throughout DOSBox.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by StarfireTBT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too am interested in a dos box that has save states. I tried using ykhwong's DosBox SVN build on the dos game "Arkaniod" just to try it out since that game doesn't have a natural save feature. It didn't work, it was full-screen but the game was mini-screen somehow and the save feature didn't work. I am not good with dos box and instead use what I think people call a front-end, I use Launch-box through their custom dos box exe. path but it failed. Does that game not work or am I not using it correctly.
I really want to use save states for games that don't offer saving, such as some action games like "Wing Commander" or pinball games.