VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks,

I'm going to be on the move a bit and transferred my m
MT 32 roms to my laptop. I'd like to play with the emulation but I'm a little lost when it comes to what settings I enable. I've uploaded a picture taken on my phone as to what I mean (settings are the same on pc)

Do I enable either? On the wiki it suggests to me you do but I'm clueless:

If neither of the above settings is enabled, ScummVM will initialize your device in General MIDI mode and use GM emulation in games with MT-32 soundtracks.

Any help would be great.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need to enable the "True" option when using the MT-32 Emulator. It is automatically enabled internally. See:

https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manua … MT-32_emulation

You don't need to specify --native-mt32 with this driver, as it automatically gets turned on.

(The "True" checkbox corresponds to the "--native-mt32" command line option.)

And indeed that's the case here. MT-32 games sound correctly regardless of whether I enable the option or not. You should enable this option when using the stand-alone version of Munt though. (Scummvm's internal "MT-32 Emulator" driver is a version of Munt built-in to Scummvm, but you can always use the stand-alone version if you want.)

Reply 2 of 6, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks very much. I did suspect that to be the case as I couldn't actually hear any difference, the emulation seems to my ear to be quite impressive.

What about the lower option, in what situation would that be necessary?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sketchus wrote:

What about the lower option, in what situation would that be necessary?

The "enable MT-32 mappings" option? That's for using a GM or GS MIDI device (like a Sound Canvas) or a software SoundFont synth to play MT-32 games. It just rearranges the GM instruments to make them sound similar to the default MT-32 instruments. It kind of sounds correct with games that only use the default MT-32 instruments (like Monkey Island 1,) but games that program the MT-32 to produce new sounds (like Monkey Island 2) will sound broken. You cannot program GM/GS MIDI devices to produce new sounds like you can an MT-32.

Long story short: it's not recommended. That option was useful back when MT-32 emulation wasn't a thing yet. It's still there for historical reasons.

sketchus wrote:

I couldn't actually hear any difference, the emulation seems to my ear to be quite impressive.

Yeah, Munt is absolutely awesome. At this point, it produces pretty much a perfect 1:1 sound equivalent to a real MT-32 when listening to it. You'd need to analyze the waveforms to spot differences, and they're not audible to begin with. It can actually produce better sound than a real MT-32 if you tell it to, if you're not a purist 😀 It also emulates the analog parts of the MT-32 with its analog modelling. It's simply an amazing emulator.

Reply 4 of 6, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I've never experienced Monkey Island with MT-32, I only ever had the Amiga version (which still sounds good) so I'm excited to give this a go.

What I was quite surprised to find too, is that the MT-32 emulation even works on the android version I have on my phone.

I am using the ultimate talkie edition of MI and it works great!

Reply 5 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sketchus wrote:

What I was quite surprised to find too, is that the MT-32 emulation even works on the android version I have on my phone.

I am using the ultimate talkie edition of MI and it works great!

Hm. I thought the ultimate talkie edition had digital audio, not MT-32? I could be mistaken.

Reply 6 of 6, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a minute there I was like "THERE'S A VERSION OF MI WITH SPEECH???" and then realized it's just using the voices of the remake.

And yeah, MT32 on Monkey Island sounds amazing.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870