VOGONS

MT-32 motherboard revisions?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2020-05-04, 00:23:

PS: Unlike the ROMs used on 01 board which are Roland branded and soldered on. And good luck finding those masked ROMs in case it fails (not because of it's limited lifespan but for different reason - ie. ESD when you are fiddling inside of the MT-32).
So 00 revision definitely has a big advantage over 01 here.

You totally changed my mind. MT-32 revision 00 is superior! 😉

Seriously thought, the difference between the two is very minor. I happen to have one of each. I'm just trying to figure out which one to keep and which one to sell. I'm going to upgrade the firmware on the rev 00 to 1.07 and replace the electrolytic capacitors in both. Then put one up for sale.

Reply 21 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the Goat wrote on 2020-05-04, 00:49:
HanJammer wrote on 2020-05-04, 00:23:

PS: Unlike the ROMs used on 01 board which are Roland branded and soldered on. And good luck finding those masked ROMs in case it fails (not because of it's limited lifespan but for different reason - ie. ESD when you are fiddling inside of the MT-32).
So 00 revision definitely has a big advantage over 01 here.

You totally changed my mind. MT-32 revision 00 is superior! 😉

Seriously thought, the difference between the two is very minor. I happen to have one of each. I'm just trying to figure out which one to keep and which one to sell. I'm going to upgrade the firmware on the rev 00 to 1.07 and replace the electrolytic capacitors in both. Then put one up for sale.

If you have a tester, please post the condition of the original capacitors .

Reply 23 of 24, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Complete cap kit is available here BTW: https://console5.com/store/roland-mt-32-mt32- … -kit-rev-1.html (it's for 01 but it should be virtually the same for 00).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg